Maya Kohl 1st Quarter Masterpieces

For my ceiling tile. My inspiration for this piece was my own personality. I consider myself to be sweet and colorful and to give off having a fun vibe. On top of that, I love to eat. So I thought what sweet, colorful and fun but edible? That would be Candy. I love cotton candy I love gummies and chocolate M&M’s. I choose to draw a lollipop because it is the generic sign of candy, not my favorite but it still expressed who I am. I am proud of this because of my details on my gummy bear's faces and the swirls to my lollipop. I wish I had spent more time on painting it itself so my colors could be more accurate to real M&M’s or real gummies. I spent my class time with this carefully, I think I timed things well I had spent more of my time sketching out what I wanted to express on the ceiling. I learned some techniques while using paint on such materials, and that would be to do a second coat. I outlined my drawing in black sharpie thinking that would be enough, then later discovering after added color you retrace those lines again with paint, it makes your artwork stand out more bolded. I think this was important in tying my whole piece together. My fall wall drawing. Immediately after being assigned the fall wall drawing, I thought pumpkins. To me, if fall had a matching object to go with it it would be a pumpkin. I am proud of this work because I used well shading on my tree trying to go from light to dark purple. I used purple on my tree because it is the opposite color of orange, my pumpkin is orange and I used purple as an effect to make the pumpkin stick out. Pumpkins mean more to me than most my family always had a pumpkin carving party they went to at this place called the spooky garden, it is always hosted by some dear family friends. Each year people in my neighborhoods bring their kids to carve pumpkins along with food. It's quite nice, everyone does it together. At this get together the children; most younger then me a few my age go to play in the newly fallen leaves that's why I incorporated a tree with leaves falling. I also included the foxes because down where my grandparents are they have foxes running about their yard they live near the woods. I spent my class time on a different drawing I did not use also involving the centerpiece which was a pumpkin. I spent a lot more time at home trying to figure out a good way to draw a welcoming looking pumpkin for this project, I am proud most of the colors and the way they pour into one another. A good strategy I learned was to blend colors you can overlap and lightly shade with your pencil as well as your finger, it creates a more gentle look. For my self-portrait I was inspired by this picture because I remember taking this selfie when I was happy, so drawing it reminded me of this happy day. I am extremely proud of my self-portrait because it actually turned out looking like me. I was inspired to do this one because it was from a different angle, an angle above me rather than in front or below me. That mattered because my eyes were interesting and it was good for detail in the drawing. I also learned that shading with your fingers works well to accentuate shadows and body creases, I believe really contrasts well. I wish I had more time to shade in with colors to make it look more realistic. As well as some shading for my background. I did not spend any time in class working on this portrait because I found working on my previous work of artists working at home gave me better results in my artwork.

​    For my ceiling tile. My inspiration for this piece was my own personality. I consider myself to be sweet and colorful and to give off having a fun vibe. On top of that, I love to eat. So I thought what sweet, colorful and fun but edible? That would be Candy. I love cotton candy I love gummies and chocolate M&M’s. I choose to draw a lollipop because it is the generic sign of candy, not my favorite but it still expressed who I am. I am proud of this because of my details on my gummy bear's faces and the swirls to my lollipop. I wish I had spent more time on painting it itself so my colors could be more accurate to real M&M’s or real gummies. I spent my class time with this carefully, I think I timed things well I had spent more of my time sketching out what I wanted to express on the ceiling. I learned some techniques while using paint on such materials, and that would be to do a second coat. I outlined my drawing in black sharpie thinking that would be enough, then later discovering after added color you retrace those lines again with paint, it makes your artwork stand out more bolded. I think this was important in tying my whole piece together.

My fall wall drawing. Immediately after being assigned the fall wall drawing, I thought pumpkins. To me, if fall had a matching object to go with it it would be a pumpkin. I am proud of this work because I used well shading on my tree trying to go from light to dark purple. I used purple on my tree because it is the opposite color of orange, my pumpkin is orange and I used purple as an effect to make the pumpkin stick out. Pumpkins mean more to me than most my family always had a pumpkin carving party they went to at this place called the spooky garden, it is always hosted by some dear family friends. Each year people in my neighborhoods bring their kids to carve pumpkins along with food. It's quite nice, everyone does it together. At this get together the children; most younger then me a few my age go to play in the newly fallen leaves that's why I incorporated a tree with leaves falling. I also included the foxes because down where my grandparents are they have foxes running about their yard they live near the woods. I spent my class time on a different drawing I did not use also involving the centerpiece which was a pumpkin. I spent a lot more time at home trying to figure out a good way to draw a welcoming looking pumpkin for this project, I am proud most of the colors and the way they pour into one another. A good strategy I learned was to blend colors you can overlap and lightly shade with your pencil as well as your finger, it creates a more gentle look.

For my self-portrait I was inspired by this picture because I remember taking this selfie when I was happy, so drawing it reminded me of this happy day. I am extremely proud of my self-portrait because it actually turned out looking like me. I was inspired to do this one because it was from a different angle, an angle above me rather than in front or below me. That mattered because my eyes were interesting and it was good for detail in the drawing. I also learned that shading with your fingers works well to accentuate shadows and body creases, I believe really contrasts well. I wish I had more time to shade in with colors to make it look more realistic. As well as some shading for my background. I did not spend any time in class working on this portrait because I found working on my previous work of artists working at home gave me better results in my artwork.