Mecca Sharrieff: Mentor (Ms.Martin) Advisor (Herman)

Final Capstone Presentation due May 31
**Please click ont he link in the first paragraph that says, "capstone" to access the annotated bibliography and proof of capstone.

When asked to create a capstone that embodies the core values of Science Leadership Academy, inquiry couldn’t be a better starting point for executing this project. In the beginning, there were so many questions to be asked, so many that were answered and some that got tangled in the web of ideas that hung above my head. The dangling web above my head began to crawl into sense, my initial project was to instruct Zumba sessions bi-weekly at school. 

The collaboration aspect began to spread like wildfire, as many participants enjoyed working out and having fun. The element of globalization was a success, the spread of ideas with physical fitness being a normal part of everyday life was achieved. I provided a resource for the community to work out - even if it meant trying new things. The reflection process came early, this project had come to and end because of my physical conditions. Instructing became very difficult, but there was a definite weight on my shoulders not to let the community down. Thus, the transition into Paige Wayman’s boot camp began. While it wasn’t easy or always very lucid, there still was a resource for the people in the community to workout. The only catch was it was girls only!

Along the new collaboration with Paige Wayman, the original problem remained. My physical conditions worsened, and my ability to walk lessened. It was a hard concept for the community to grasp, and emotions rose high. The new transition into another capstone became the Marching Soles Shoe Drive. The idea came about during capstone week, where the core values realigned themselves in my thoughts. It was the perfect way to spread the idea of giving back to the community, even with something simple. 

While many others have had (clothing) drives of their own, shoes became a unique juxtaposition to the pre-existing capstones. Why shoes? That is the question that steered the wheel of research, collaboration, presentation and reflection. The combination of two capstones and other mini projects all came from the idea of capstones in general. The greatest lesson overall is the realization that these projects were a learning process.