Memories

Memories

(Rosa opens up a yearbook)

Oh, I remember this night like it was just yesterday. My older sister had done my makeup and we had gone shopping a month before . I had to be prepared, you know - find the perfect dress beforehand. Many people waited a day before prom to go shopping, but that sounded like a bad idea to me. What if I couldn’t find a nice dress? There’s a picture of me in here somewhere with my group of friends…

(Flips the page)

Ah. Here it is. I felt like a real life princess in this dress. Of course it was in my favorite shade of blue. Speaking of that dress, Christina, didn’t you wear it before to the dance? Look at my hair, I had gotten it curled and styled into a fancy bun at a nearby salon. I saw that exact hairstyle in a magazine… Hmm, I can’t remember the name, but the lady showcasing it looked gorgeous.  All of my friends thought it would suit me.

(Points)

This is Josephine, she was my best friend since middle school. Oh, here’s Leanne, she was the first friend I made in High School! The guy next to her is her younger brother Joe, and his girlfriend, Stacy. Oh wow, this is Kendall, she was crowned prom queen, and her boyfriend, Mark.

...Aiden. The one next to Mark is Aiden. I could never forget this boy’s face. I fell in love with Aiden freshman year of High School. People would say, ‘you’re too young to feel love’, but love has no barriers - you just feel it, and you know what it is and that it’s there. Even when you never see them, there’s always going to be a place for them in your heart. Have you ever been in love, Christina? Being in love isn’t the same feeling as liking someone, it’s way more than that. It was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. Heartbreak, happiness, tears, and laughs.

Aiden and I dated from freshmen year to junior year. We broke up in the beginning of junior year. It was for stupid reasons, honestly. Petty things like rumors, and other girls. I could never understand why people pushed their way into other people’s relationships, you know? We stopped being friends for a while, after we broke up, but since we had so many mutual friends, it was hard not to see each other everywhere. Maybe if I hadn’t seen him all the time, it would have been easier to let go.

Yes, I have moved on, but I do still care for him.

Aiden had cancer, Christina. He had kept it a secret for a long time, until his doctor told him how many months he had left to live. Two months. It was two months. There was nothing I could do. Aiden didn’t seem too upset, which was surprising. Maybe he was trying to make the best out of his two months. I wish I could have done something about it, but it wasn’t in my hands. It wasn’t in anybodys hands. He had to go.

God always takes the good ones.
monologue

Paul-Ann Whyte (Student 2018)
Paul-Ann Whyte

I can connect with this character because although I have never lost a friend to death, this monologue makes me feel as though I had. A memorable moment that was in this monologue had to be Syeda's emotions that she showed throughout the entire monologue

Tajnia Hussain (Student 2018)
Tajnia Hussain

Well that escalated quickly. You wouldn't expect the ending would be sad when you start reading this, which is good! I really connected with this character because that happens to me when I look through old photo albums from when I was younger or with my family and friends I want to go back and relive those moments. The part that will stick to me is where you mentioned the character's relationship with Aiden and how being in love is roller coaster of emotions. Great job!