Negative/Positive Space Cut-out Reflection

Negative space is the empty or open space around an object in a picture or drawing. Negative space defines and emphasises the main subject of a photo, drawing your eye to it. We use it to see shapes and sizes more effectively, and produce better composed images. Negative space is very effective. That’s because when someone looks at a piece designed with negative space, the viewer can effortlessly evaluate and comprehend the design. The viewer don’t have to work too hard evaluating the design.

I found negative space in my cut out picture by looking through the subject. I also found the negative space by paying attention to the color differences. In my cut out picture of the owl, all of the black is negative space. It help an artist to see in negative space because it is easier for them to draw or paint a subject. When they can see and recognize negative space, they can sketch everything around it so that then they have an outline. From there the artist can easily focus on details inside of the outline and finish the piece. Also, negative space gives the artist different perspectives and point of views to improve on.

Yes, seeing in negative space can enhance drawings. Seeing negative space can bring out the main subject of a drawing, especially if they were originally just blending in.