Negative Drawings!

Wondering what a negative concept is?
Well, its two colors. All of the objects are connected. The space behind the object is one color and the objects are another. There are no lines in negative space drawings, just shapes and the background.

How can you try negative space?
For my negative space drawing, I drew the objects first and then I erased all of the lines and then I colored around the objects I drew. Then when I was all done, I erased all of the lines that I forgot to erase. What our teacher did that made it easy is that she put orange paper as the background and told us that the orange was one color and the objects were another.
For my negative cut out, I used stencils to help me. This cut out was really hard because we couldn't mess up. First, we cut the stencil in half along with on of the two sheets of paper we took. The scraps of the stencil would be used for the other half of my drawing. 

You're probably thinking, why would this help me in anyway if it's so hard to do? 
It's not, artist actually do this for a living. These types of drawings would help add a whole new view on the drawing for the artist and also helps the artist practice not drawing every little detail but the space around the object or thing you are drawing, so in a way anything negative helps you become a better artist!

Did you look at my drawing and cut out yet?
There are a few mess ups but doesn't look cool? Couldn't you imagine an artist doing this? Its so simple looking but looks amazing when it is done. Just two colors and thats all it takes. You could hang this on your wall!

Below you'll see in order: 
- My Negative Space Drawing
- Tree Negative Cutout
- House Negative Cutout  

Photo on 2011-04-26 at 13.31
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 13.31
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.57 #2
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.57 #2
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.57
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.57