Negative Space: Drawing and Cutout

photo 2
photo 2
photo 1
photo 1
  • A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)
Negative space is the space inside a picture that is not in the main object of that picture so Its basically the rest of the paper that isn't taking up by the picture that was actually drawn.

• B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your stool drawing?
First the cut out I found the negative space by cutting out the template and and used that to trace it on another piece of paper so that all of the space surrounding the drawing becomes the negative space and then when it comes times to do the other side just reverse and what was white becomes black and what was black becomes white.
  • C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?
It allows said artist to be more precise in the drawing and that make the picture that much better. 

• D. How is negative space useful in creating art?
Well first of all like I said in the question before this it makes the art that more precise and sharp thus making the art look better but it also helps by adding a creative aspect to it all making the picture interesting to look at.