Negative Space

A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)

B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your still life drawing?

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not?

Negative space is the shape surrounding the object your looking at. Usually when doing a normal drawing, first you would draw the object, but when drawing in negative space, you draw the outline of the object and color outside the lines, not inside. When you finish coloring the outside of the lines, the object will appear. I found negative space in both my cut outs and in my still life drawing. For the cut outs, I had a house picture template which was colored in black and white. I put my pink paper behind the template and I started cutting on the line where the two different colors, black and white met. When I finished cutting those parts, I began puzzling the pieces on my other orange paper. In the middle of the orange paper which lied horizontally, I added a vertical line where my art will change from negative to positive space. I thought of how exactly the things will look when the pieces of paper were added to show negative space. I noticed that things were suppose to be flipped when moved into the opposite side of my vertical line. Also, when I was doing my still life drawings, I first looked at the object and lightly outlined the lines of the object, then I colored the outside of those lines, so the object will be seen without really drawing it out. 

Seeing in negative space helps an artist because it forms the object inside the artist's head but on paper, the object isn't specifically drawn. This type of art lets creativity be used in a different, unique way. This negative space enhanced my drawing because of how unusal it is. It lets me think outside the box and to better my art skills.