Negative Space

• A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it) Negative space is the part of a picture that is not covered with a subject, which is the main part of the picture. Basically it is the background of the picture that surrounds the main subject. Negative space helps the subject pop out the the viewer and balance the other parts of the drawing or picture.

• B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your stool drawing? To find the negative space of the drawing I pretty much just outlined with my pencil the object that I wanted to draw so that I could get an idea of how much negative space I would need to balance my subject and the other components of the picture.

• C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space? It helps an artist to see the negative space of their drawing for various reasons. One reason is that they are able to easily define the subject of the drawing so they can understand visually how much negative space needs to be implemented so that the drawing gives the right impression to the viewer. It also helps an artist compare to pictures of the same thing so that they can get a better idea of how to make their finally drawing have the right balance of negative space.

• D. How is negative space useful in creating art? It is useful in art because you don’t want the subject of the drawing to take up too much space, which would not cast the right impression on viewers, negative space is useful in balancing the components of a drawing. Negative space is meant to help artists make their drawings or pictures to the best of their abilities so that viewers can be captured by the thing that they are observing.
Screenshot 2014-05-23 at 11.24.48 AM
Screenshot 2014-05-23 at 11.24.48 AM
Screenshot 2014-05-23 at 11.28.46 AM
Screenshot 2014-05-23 at 11.28.46 AM