Negative Space cut-out (Annie Chen)

Art tree cutout
 A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)

Negative space is when in an illustration or a drawing, there are the spaces that isn't the main focus. Usually it can be blurred in the background of many images. It means exactly what it says, "negative space". It is space that is not the main focus of the image. It usually is a pretty big part of the image. 

B. Explain how you found negative space in your cut out?

The negative space in my image would most likely be the sky background because the tree is the central image of the cut out. It is also the areas that are darker than the actual tree.   

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

It helps an artist to see negative space so they could possibly focus on the main focus of the image. Often, people ignore the negative space but drawing from negative space can also be very pretty as art work. 

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not?

Yes, I feel like often times, we do not look at the background of images so focusing on negative space, it gives a chance for people to also see things in a different manner. It also can make drawings more abstract to make people use their imagery to think what the drawing would look like.