Negative Space Drawings and Cut-Outs

Ava Olsen                                                                                                                    5/3/13

"Negative Space"

Negative space is the entire area around a drawn figure. If you’re drawing a chair, you would draw a chair, and color in everything around the chair, except the chair itself. You wouldn’t add details or anything, you would just have a blank figured outline of a chair, and have everything around it colored in.

In my cut-out, it’s apparent that I have negative space, because on one side, there is a completely normal cut-out, and on the other side there’s reversed color. I used the colors pink and green, so everytime there’s pink on one half, there’s green on the other. In my still life drawing, I have negative space as well because the drawing of the main object is completely blank, but everything besides the figure is colored in. 

I think seeing in negative space does enhance drawings because it makes them pop out. I think it also exercises your mind to try and figure out what you’re looking at. I find the negative space drawings very interesting.

Below:
1. Stool On Top of Stool
2. Handtruck
3. Chair
4. House

Stool!
Stool!
Handtruck
Handtruck
Chair!
Chair!
House!
House!