Is Netflix The Best Streaming Service?

Cable began entering the home in the 1960’s, and since it has become one of the most popular ways to spend one’s time. With the invention of the internet, television has also moved to streaming online. There are many options nowadays to choose from when it comes to streaming television shows online. One such option is Netflix, one of the most popular online streaming websites in most households in America and around the world.  Netflix is better than cable television for the user because of its accessibility around the world and the cheaper prices. 

Cable television around the world is expensive. Not all countries share the same television programming meaning  others may not be able to watch certain tv shows that they want to watch. Netflix is different from cable television. Netflix is global. “The key is Netflix's global expansion , which exploded in January when the company added 130 new countries in a single day, bringing the total to over 190.” (The Business Insider Other streaming websites don’t even compare when it comes to the globalization that the networks have. For example, Hulu is only available in the United States and Japan as of today. The expansion of Netflix around the world is what allows the company to dominate over its competitors, including cable and other online streaming options. While cable television can be found around the world, Netflix is cheaper and a more accessible source of watching everyone’s favorite shows. 

The model of cable television has been sleeping for a long time. When it comes to choosing a network to watch a favorite show the decision can be irritatingly difficult because of the few, forced cable networks that are offered in the United States. Whether it is Xfinity, Verizon Fios, or DirectTV, no one gets the best value for their money. The high prices for these networks can be outrageous most of the time. “Consider the case of Netflix, whose streaming service blends original programing with feature films and documentaries, much like HBO.  However, although Netflix charges less, the company earns roughly the same per subscriber because it does not have to pay fees to cable providers.” (Forbes) Netflix is doing something right when it doesn’t have the forced deals and random spikes in monthly cost on a cable bill. Netflix is only charging its users typically $9.99 a month for a wide blend of movies, tv, and documentaries right at everyone’s fingertips. Every month, Netflix adds new movies and slowly get rids of the movies and tv that have been on the streaming site for a long period of time. It keeps itself current with all of the best shows and movies. Netflix even offers exclusive content that is owned by Netflix itself. Also Netflix keeps updating its shows and other shows in a season worth so anyone can enjoy their shows right away. If someone’s show season isn’t updated, then start a new one! 

Netflix is one of the most popular way of streaming movies and television shows directly online for its users to watch. It is also one of the biggest companies in the world with growth and expansion with online streaming. “Netflix had announced that it had thirty-one million subscribers in the United States… Netflix accounts for more than thirty per cent of all Internet down-streaming traffic in North America… The Netflix Web site describes the company as “the world’s leading Internet television network.” (The New Yorker) Netflix over the years has become one of the biggest ways of watching television shows. Online streaming is also becoming the newest “21st century” way of living nowadays so it got its hit from that. Having many shows that people love and ones that have been critical hits over the years. It is earning so much money because of the way it is creating a fan base. . Netflix is one its game and it is definitely better than cable television. 

When asked, everyone who watches television shows might say that cable television is better, But on closer inspection, Netflix is the better choice for watching favorite tv shows. Cable television has been slowly decreasing in its users in recent years and while on the other hand the internet has been exploding uses. Netflix is global with so many subscribers compared to other streaming networks and cabhat is one tenth of money someone is spending. As a result, it will keep growing from here because it represents the future of television. 

Works Cited

Source #1: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-netflix-is-the-leading-model-for-the-future-of-television-2016-2
McAlone, Nathan. "Here's Why Some Wall Street Analysts Think Netflix Is the 'leading Model for the Future of TV'" Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 2016. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.

Source #2: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/2015/06/06/the-future-of-tv-is-here-can-cable-survive/#33cabf1c428b 
 Forbes. Forbes Magazine, n.d. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.

Source #3:
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/060815/how-netflix-changing-tv-industry.asp
Investopedia. "Netflix May Produce Bollywood-Style Original Shows, Says CEO." Investopedia. N.p., 03 Nov. 2015. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.

Source #4: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/02/03/outside-the-box-2 
Auletta, Ken. "Outside the Box." The New Yorker. N.p., 26 Jan. 2014. Web. 16 Oct. 2016.

Kaamil Jones (Student 2018)
Kaamil Jones

This did not change my thinking because you didn't compare Netflix to other streaming services as much. I expected you to dig deeper into why Netflix is better than Hulu. I really like that topic but wish you compared other streaming services instead of cable.

Tito Mazzucchi (Student 2018)
Tito Mazzucchi

This did not change my thinking because with the internet and globalization of media all being a major part of today's technological and societal advancements, It only makes sense for a network that makes an effort to expand as much as possible to be the one to lead first into the new age.

I think that if this is presented to more people, the majority would have their minds changed.

Madison Militello (Student 2018)
Madison Militello

This is a good topic. Cable television is slowly dying away and online streaming is a lot more common now. A lot of people probably agree that Netflix is a better option, but it would have been better if you provided a number to show how cable has decreased in its viewers to really show the reader.

Emma Schwingel-Sauer (Student 2018)
Emma Schwingel-Sauer

I like how you brought up the point about how current it is and how Netflix continues to update its shows and movies. Including the cheap price also did a good job of contributing to your argument. Good job Gilliam!