Physical and Chemical Properties

Physical and Chemical Properties

Experiments that can be done to discover both chemical and physical properties of elements are actually very simple. For physical it only requires looking in detail at the element for its characteristics such are color, size, smell, freezing point and boiling point as well as many other things. The experiments are quite simple depending on the chemical but simply looking straight at it or using tools to get closer looks at it and then writing down the things that you see. For things such as boiling point or freezing sport all you have to do is heat the chemical until it reaches its boiling point and freeze the element until it reaches its freezing point. For chemical properties the best way to describe them is to quote a site from elmhurst college. “ It is quite difficult to define a chemical property without using the word "change". Eventually you should be able to look at the formula of a compound and state some chemical property. At this time this is very difficult to do and you are not expected to be able to do it.” The only real way to find out a chemical property is to introduce different conditions to a chemical and then discover its change or reaction to that condition.

Photos involving Physical Properties and some chemical:
Photos of Chemical change:
123h2balloon
123h2balloon
    Chemical and Physical properties are basically just the things that make a chemical what it is. Every chemical has these properties and they all need them to function the way that they do. Chemical properties are just the things that make a chemical tick. The way it reacts to other chemicals and conditions that it is introduced to as well as the reason why it acts that way which is often difficult to discover. Physical is simply the quite literal “Physical” characteristics of the chemical just like a person can be described a certain way so can chemicals.

Example Multiple choice questions:

1. When water Freezes it undergoes?

a. Sublimation
b. Physical change
c. Chemical change
d. The water cycle

2. Which type of process is the evaporation of a chemical?

A. Chemical change
b. Chemical Kinetics
c. Boiling
d. Physical change

3. When rain is made water vapor is turning into rain form. This is an example of...

a. Physical change
b. Chemical change
c. The rock cycle
d. Erosion