Physics Blogs

For the fourth quarter fire streams benchmark was about waves and frequencies and how the corresponded to certain instruments. What I liked about the project is that we were able to choose any instrument we wanted and had the freedom of making it however we wanted. However in choosing my own instrument I was surprised by how much work this project took. I didn't believe building a xylophone would take so many calculations. With this being said the most lasting impact I got from the project was seeing all my classmates present their instruments. It was really fun to see people showcase their work. 

For my instrument with was the xylophone, sound is produced by the vibrations that occur after the bar is struck. The pitch of the bar is based on the vibrations also therefore the longer the bar the longer the wavelength and the deeper the note. 
For my instrument I choose to use steel bars, I choose these materials because they are closest to what most xylophones are made of. I will play my instrument with a mallet.