Print/Matt Reflection

20170608_085623-01
20170608_085623-01
What is your element? Name and atomic number My element is Germanium and it’s atomic number is 32.
My element, history, function/use and so on. Germanium was discovered in 1886 in Freiberg, Germany by a man named Clemens Winkler. Its symbol is Ge. Germanium is a metalloid. Germanium is used to make transistors for use in electronic devices. Germanium is also used as an alloying agent (adding 1% germanium to silver stops it from tarnishing), in fluorescent lamps and as a catalyst. The element is non-toxic. Fun fact, Germanium is another element that was predicted by Mendeleev in 1871(His predictions for what would be the atomic number, weight, and properties were very close to germanium actual characteristics.). The origin of its name come from a Latin name for Germany, ‘Germania’.
How did you get the idea for the imagery you chose? To get the idea for my print, I had to think of a picture that can relate to my element. Since germanium was used in lamps, I did the design of the candle lamp. Also it the transistors gave me the idea of sketching a phone.
What process did you go through to make this print? Well first I did some research on my element. Next I sketch some drawings and pick the best one that can represent germanium. Then I had to finalize my sketch on a 4x6 paper. Then I had to transfer my drawing onto tracing paper. Next, I did negative and positive drawing onto the styrofoam plate. Finally, I print the image onto paper by printing the image onto the plate, transfer the plate on the paper, rub it into the paper with a wooden spoon, and slowly lift the paper from the plate, leaving the image onto the paper. Then I cut out the image and paste it in the center of a 6x8 inch construction paper.
What would you do differently if you did this print a second time? For one, I would do a little bit more research on my element to get a better understanding. Also, I would redo my negative and positive with my plate, I kind of messed up a bit.
What part of the project did you enjoy the most? Describe the step and what you liked so much about it. The part I like the most was the paint transfer. So first, I had to paint onto the plate and roll it out with a roller. Then I laid it down onto a piece of paper and press down onto the paper with a wooden spoon. Finally, I slowly lift the paper from the plate, leaving the image onto the paper. I really like seeing the outcome when it’s separated. Also, it was quite easy.