Printmaking a revolutionary art form

Hello and welcome to my blog about the art of printmaking. What is printmaking you ask? Relief printing is a process where protruding surface faces of the printing plate or block are inked; recessed areas are ink free. This art form is one of the best because it is mobile and pretty easy to complete.

There are 9 different ways to perform relief printing. The relief family of techniques includes woodcut, metalcut, wood engraving, relief etching, linocut, rubber stamp, foam printing, potato printing, and some types of collagraph. The most common way to do a relief print is wood cuts. This style of printing was established in the 15 century. Johannes Gutenberg started work on his printing press around 1436, in partnership with Andreas Dritzehn.

Now this form of art can take a place on almost any canvas. It’s most common place is paper. There are a lot of different things you can use to print it aswell. It uses ink the most. The ink is what you see on the paper that makes up the image.

This art form is revolutionary because of its features. It has a feature that makes it movable. Another thing about it is that you can make more than one painting by using the same template multiple times. This form of art is really cool. Another cool thing about it is that it doesn’t just make art. It can make money and newspapers.

"Gopher Tortoise" - Mary Wolfe

Image result for relief printmaking The image above is Turtle eating a branch of leaves. The artist use positive and negative space to create the turtles shape. The white lines on the turtle create a pattern that we normally see on a turtle’s back. I think this was a picture of the artist pet or something. They probably caught it in action of eating. I think this is a good painting because the artist uses the space well darkens the spaces perfectly. I wonder how hard it was to make this artwork. I notice the lines in the background that give a sense ground so the turtle doesn’t look like it was floating. I can’t help but think what if there was more picture, it might have deeper context.