PSSA Biomes Document

Scientists generally measure multiple things in order to determine what the climate of a biome is like. The things that they measure in biomes include, temperature, precipitation, pressure, humidity, and several other things. Because of this, there are also several pieces of equipment that are used to measure these things. From simple thermometers, maps, and rulers, to gauges, cloud mirrors, and anemometers, all of these things are used when it comes to measuring the characteristics that make up the world’s biomes.

Table of Biomes

Biome

Average Temperature

Annual Rainfall

Types of Plants

Types of Animals

Tundra

-50˚F to 50˚F

<10 in.

Lichens, moss, shrubs

Polar bears, reindeer, arctic hares

Rainforest

70˚F to 85˚F

80 in. to 400 in.

Trees, orchids, epiphytes, vines

Birds, chipmunks, cougars, bobcats, monkeys, insects, reptiles, amphibians

Savanna

68˚F to 86˚F

10 in. to 30 in.

Trees, several types of grass, shrubs

Giraffes, elephants, zebras, horses, birds, insects

Taiga

-65˚F to 70˚F

10 in. to 30 in.

Trees

Squirrels, moles, moose, deer, elk, grizzly bears, wolves

Temperate Forest

50˚F to 70˚F

30 in. to 60 in.

Mainly trees

Chipmunks, black bears, birds

Grassland

20˚F to 70˚F

12 in. to 21 in.

Several types of grass and flowers

Ungulates, bison, antelopes, birds, gophers, prairie dogs, coyotes

Alpine

40˚F to 60˚F

12 in.

Chaparral

30˚F to 100˚F

10 in. to 17 in.

Taproot, poison oak, scrub oak, shrubs, cacti

Coyotes, jackrabbits, deer, lizards, toads, insects

Desert [coastal]

41˚F to 75˚F

3 in. to 5 in.

Mainly cacti

Snakes, insects, lizards, foxes, rats

Biomes have proven to be a vital part in both making the planet a lively place, and making it possible for our societies to thrive. Each one has their own personality from environment to environment. Some, such as the tundra and desert can be harsh and unforgiving in terms of hospitality, while others such as the rain forest and grasslands can provide a nice habitat for those willing to face their dangers. Each biome offers different types of animals and plants, as well as other natural resources for us to use in order to survive our own day-to-day lives. Without them, and the things they provide, the world would be a very boring place.

If questions relating to biomes were to ever appear on the PSSA, they would mostly ask what kind of plants and animals reside in what kind of environment. For example, a question may ask, “An animal with padded paws and thick fur can most likely be found in what environment?” The first thing you could do would be to eliminate the obviously wrong answers, such as the savanna and the grassland. The whole point is to decide which biome an animal with these characteristics would be most effective in. In this case, it would be the Tundra. 

Justin Pullins (Student 2013)
Justin Pullins

Very good, Na'Quan! I knew quite a bit about biomes before, but I feel that your presentation added to prior knowledge. I am especially fond of the way that you were able to define what a biome is, and provide great examples. I feel that towards the beginning, things got a bit off topic when you began to talk about temperature and how to measure initially, however, overall, it was a great presentation. Should biomes appear on the Science PSSA's, I am confident that you taught me enough. Good job!

-Justin P.