Q1 Benchmark Reflection

Link to entire project: https://sites.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/amending-the-constitution/

Link to my individual portion:
https://sites.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/amending-the-constitution/rebuttal-paper-shamarlon-yates

________________________________________________________________
Reflection
: Each member of your team must post an individual reflection at the end of the project (SLATE):

How did you group go about making a decision for what to focus on for the project?

My group
brainstormed numerous ideas about how we can improve voter turnout and then we decided to pick repealing the Electoral College since this was very influential during the 2000 elections. We thought that this was an important aspect of our voting system since it affects voter turnout.

11th grade Essential ? - What is the role of the individual in creating and sustaining change? 

Great change have been created throughout history though the role of one individual. An example of this is Martin Luther during the Protestant Reformation. Change can start with one person but an individual has to initiate that change first and then other people will relate to this change and become part of it.

How has your understanding of the electoral process and
whether or not the US is a democracy evolved during this unit?

Before this project, I did not even know about the Electoral College and the role it plays in Presidential elections. I thought that the president was elected through direct popular vote. While conducting research and reading my group member's proposal paper, I learned about the history of the Electoral College and why it was created. I also learned about the pros and cons of both the Electoral College and the direct popular vote systems. I think that the Electoral College is very democratic since the direct popular vote method is used in each individual state to decide which candidate gets all the Electoral College votes in that state.

How did you decide to best relay a message to a national audience with your marketing campaign?  

We had a commercial and a print had to promoted why the Electoral College should be repealed. The commercial could go on TV and the print ad and the proposal could be printed in newspapers around the country.