Q1 BM - Brian Birkmire

The Mark of Athena is an outstanding book in the successful continuation of the Heros of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan. It is number three in the series that has grasped the attention of young readers for years now. The series is attached to Riordan’s first five part series he created, Percy Jackson And The Olympians, which flourishingly won multiple book awards. Riordan began writing as a young adult, writing short stories as well as writing for his high school newspaper. He made the attempt to publish some of his short stories but came out unsuccessful. His daughter, Haley, who was diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia always showed fascination in Greek Mythology, it was a topic she could pay attention to. Haley asked of her father to create bedtime stories to tell her each night that included Greek Mythology within them. Riordan said, “I had taught Greek myths for many years at the middle school level, so I was glad to comply.” When Riordan created a new story, using the attributes of his oldest son Patrick, he was able to create the character Percy Jackson, the demigod with ADHD and dyslexia.

The story he told his daughter, about a boy named Percy who was falsely accused of stealing the almighty Zeus’s thunderbolt and required to redeem himself, took three days to tell her. Afterwards, Haley told Riordan that he should create a book from the story, and so he did. Today that book is well known as Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Lightning Thief. "Making Percy ADHD and dyslexic was my way of honoring the potential of all the kids I've known who have those conditions...it's not a bad thing to be different. Sometimes, it's the mark of being very, very talented. That's what Percy discovers about himself in The Lightning Thief."  

The Mark of Athena, although somewhat written for the young adult group, is another perfect example of a book I just can’t stop reading. The feeling the author gives through the whole book is incredible. It’s that “on the edge of your seat” feeling, the one that makes your adrenaline pump through every vein in your body, excreting excitement with every turn of the page. When opened to the first page, you find yourself aboard the Argo II, a hand built ship from a demigod named Leo, where Annabeth, who is Percy’s girlfriend and bestfriend, are on route to the Roman Camp to be reunited with Percy. Long story short, Greeks and Romans don’t get along well. Greek Gods at times, change into their Roman form, and during each form they had children. These children were called demigods, each possessing a certain power from their God parent.

Annabeth, who is accompanied by Leo Valdez and Jason Grace, finally arrive in the Roman camp. Military personnel at the camp of course do their duty and take no risk at what or who is aboard that ship. Percy, who was head praetor at the camp although he is Greek, came outside to the ship along with the head of camp, Reyna. The Argo II landed and off stepped Annabeth. When the Romans realized Percy knew Annabeth everyone stepped away while she ran and tackled her loving boyfriend. Later, after much talk between both camps, there was a compromise that although the camps don’t get along, they must fight together to stop the Earth goddess Gaea who was planning to destroy Olympus. Although there was friendship and trust being created, something goes terribly wrong at the camp, that destroys that trust in an instant. Now, escaping from the camp were seven demigods, both of Greek and Roman, destined to fulfill the prophecy they were told at camp. They don’t know what lies in store for them, they must make their way to Ancient Rome to stop Gaea and her children of Giants by following “The Mark of Athena.”

If you are into Greek mythology, this book as well as the entire series Rick Riordan has created, would be a thrilling read for yourself. Although, it can be said the books are an easier read for someone not of a young age, the book creates a massive amount of imagery for the reader. When I read the Heros of Olympus series, there is something about the way Riordan writes that helps me, and I’m positive other readers as well, create the world in our heads as we would see what’s happening. Riordan doesn’t describe the setting of each scene with much detail, just enough for the reader to create an imagination to turn into a reality of what they’d think was there. I enjoy his style of writing as well. With each new book to the series it only continues to amplify the outstanding work he has already created, giving him more kudos per page.

This book is a wonderful read for the young age and a perfect pick for anyone interested in Adventure. Riordan’s most famous character, the audacious Percy Jackson, is the ideal idol for most kids. When you think about him in depth, you see a trustworthy, protective, and insightful hero, who overcomes any obstacle thrown at him. In conclusion, the book The Mark of Athena can be placed in the same loved category all of Riordan’s book have been placed, creating a wonderful world full of imagination and learning for young readers everywhere.

The Mark of Athena by: Rick Riordan. Published: October 2nd 2012. 574 pages. (Fantasy/Young adult literature/Greek mythology/Romance novel)