Quarantine Through Different Perspectives

Essay - Quarantine Through Different Perspectives

Quarantine has affected every single one of us in different ways. Some changes can be positive and negative. I think that for most teenagers, quarantine has been a negative thing. It has caused us to miss out on important events in our lives. I think our teenage years are some of the most important, and interesting times of our lives. This is a time when we grow, meet new people, and make great impacts on our lives. Quarantine has made us miss a lot of things that are important to us, exciting things. Some teens might have had a good experience with quarantine. Maybe they like being isolated and with more time to themselves. I have personally not met any teens who actually like quarantine but I know there could be a lot of kids who think like this. I decided to ask some of my friends about their experience during quarantine. These are some of the questions I asked them: Do you feel like you’re missing out on important events of your life/ like your wasting time? What’s one word that best describes your quarantine experience? Has quarantine been good for you or not?

I got 8 people’s responses and they all ended up being very similar. Six of them said that they felt they were missing out or wasting their time because of quarantine. Some of the words they described their experience as were boring, lazy, unmotivated, stressful, lost, “meh”, and fun. Seven people said their experience was bad and only one person said their quarantine experience has been good. My own experience with quarantine hasn’t been pleasant at all. I feel like quarantine has made me waste valuable time. I’ve missed my 8th-grade graduation and the beginning of my freshman year. Those are two things I’m very frustrated that I’ve missed out on. I’ve looked forward to those two events for years. Maybe since 5th grade. I always expected my freshman year to be filled with excitement and joy. This is not at all what I expected it to start off as, but it won’t be like this forever. I also go to Colombia every summer to visit my family and sadly I wasn’t able to go this year. It’s already hard enough for me not being able to see them for 10 months and now it’s doubled the time. This has caused a lot of stress and frustration. Quarantine feels like being grounded for an incredibly long time. I just can’t wait until it’s over.

Author’s statement.

I wrote this essay the day before it was due. To be honest it was hours before it was due. I finished writing it at around 11:40 PM. I had an idea of what I wanted to do weeks before the project was due but I actually sat down and wrote it on the last day. This might seem like I was irresponsible with my time management (and it probably is) but I know I wasn’t the only one who did this. I know a couple of people who participated in this contest that did exactly what I did. Since quarantine started, and before, I struggle with my time management. I do a lot of my work a little while before it’s due. I also don’t think that because we wait last minute to do it, it’s gonna turn out bad. I’ve done a lot of projects that ended up looking awesome the day before they were due. I think this relates a lot to being a teen in these weird times but also it relates to being a teen in general.