Quarter 2 Art Work

This quarter for art class I created blind contour drawings, a watercolor painting of my choice, 3 different versions of a recreated painting, a watercolor painting based off of a song lyric, and 5 different edited photos. In order to make these art pieces, I gained inspiration through my favorite artists and musicians. For the recreated paintings I was inspired by one of my favorite artists, Georgia O’Keefe, and recreated her white irises painting. For the illustration based off of a piece of writing, I was inspired by one of my favorite musicians, Noname, and pulled my artistic ideas from her Telefone album cover. I also consistently visualize a distinct lavender color when listening to Noname’s voice and songs, so I used this idea for a color to use when creating the background of the painting. For the blind contour drawings with color, I used either warm or cool colors for each drawing, to represent the duality of human emotions. For drawings that seemed more somber or serious, I used cool colors. With happier or more positive drawings, I used warm colors. Another design concept I used was movement, because each blind contour drawing showed pencil strokes that were in a constant movement.
Although I enjoyed using both soft and oil pastels for my recreated art piece, this quarter I favored watercolors. Painting with watercolors has become my preferred art material. A technique I do enjoy while using pastels is blending, specifically with soft pastels. I learned even more this quarter that oil pastels really have to cover every inch of surface in a drawing, even if you have to blend in some areas with white pastels. During this quarter I used paint brushes, watercolors, thick watercolor paper, copy paper, markers, colored pencils, soft pastels, and oil pastels. I used paint brushes for transferring the paint onto the paper, and I used the paper as my background and surface for artwork. The watercolors, markers, colored pencils, soft pastels, and oil pastels were used this quarter as my art mediums for creating art. I utilized my studio time throughout the quarter by using each art period to complete the art assignments that were due. I even completed some of the deadlines ahead of time, because I worked hard to complete my art in class. Overall, this quarter included a lot of fun art assignments that allowed me to use my creativity and also strengthen my art skills even further.