Quarter Three NHD Benchmark Reflection

Johniera McClain
USH History 

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/NHD.m4v?w=d7dd1fe8

Quarter Three Benchmark Reflection

The topic came across by my history teacher bringing up the Native American boarding schools when we suggested that we wanted to do an odd/unique topic that not many people speak upon. Slavery within races is talked about in many ways and under many lights but it is rare for it to be on the slavery of a Native American. That is one of the main reasons that this topic was chosen.

The group documentary as the type of presentation that was selected for the format of presenting this project was decided based upon the fact that it would be convenient for us to transform our papers into something visual for the audience to view. It was something that we knew that the main primary sources would be easier shown than explained. The abuse and Americanization of the Native Americans are shown through photos, and interviews.

The trouble that was caused by trying to do this project was the time management. The mishap of procrastinating tripped me up when it came around for the project to be almost due. I believe if I could have a good week to just still work on the project, it would be so much better than what it is now. Although I cannot sit here and say that I am not proud of the work that I handed in, because I’m definitely content to what the project blossomed to be.  As of now, I think that if I had to the whole project all over I would probably instead of turning in a group documentary I would do an individual paper or a group performance.

Throughout doing this project, I learned that Native Americans really are settlers and that a government has stripped their morals and values that really are not at all the people whom have founded this place. The Native Americans have been conquered by a government and been placed on special places that are considered to be theirs, when really all of it is theirs. It’s a shame, that the United States government has degraded a people that have done nothing but be good to them and manipulate them to a place where they were considered to be as low as a savage.

The government can civilize and Americanize a group of people that were here on this soil first and brain wash them to become a group of  people that is of what now to be American like.