Reconstruction Of Memory - Boubou Magassa

I woke up in a room with blaring lights and the pungent smell of medicine. There is a short old man with white hair and a coat to match. He tells me that he is a doctor and that I was brought in by one of the townsmen. I look to my side and notice that my right arm is missing. The memories came flooding back into my mind. Why does it hurt? The doctor then asks what happened to me.

I was young and wanted to write a book about a lonely mountain man. To gain inspiration I had moved into a cabin on a snowy mountain. I remember vividly the day of the incident. Why does it hurt? It was a regular day, just like all the other days. I had just left the town with some groceries. The path home was a treacherous one, cold and punishing as the snowflakes cut my face, and my visibility was cut down to a mere 5 meters. I only see a maze of trees ahead. Except for one tree, this tree was somewhat different. It was shorter and wider than the others. I wanted to examine it more for my book. I left the trail and headed towards this mysterious tree. When I finally got close enough to get a good look, it was no longer a tree but a bear towering over me. It let out a mighty roar. A chill ran down my spine as I was frozen in fear. I had then put my arms up to my face and felt a sharp pain as the bear’s jagged and unkempt teeth entered my flesh. All I can remember was the pain in my right arm. Why does it hurt? I had almost given up as my vision went blurry, I then remembered my pocket knife. I had grasped it and lunged the blade into the bears right eye. As the bear was stunned I had ran in any direction as long as I was running. I had ran for a couple miles. My movements grew sluggish and the feeling in my right arm had disappeared. I had peered overed, it was all mangled and didn’t resemble an arm anymore. My eyes could no longer stay open, my eyes wanted to rest, my eyes wanted to drift. I fell onto the snowy ground as my body began to freeze. I took one last look and saw someone approaching and tell my eyes it’s okay to rest.

Author’s Note

This is an original piece, I was never been attacked by a bear. I was inspired to emulate the repetitive language that Atwood had used. The repetition had allowed for a more poetic approach. I also incorporated the sudden change from present to memory.

Bear Attack
Bear Attack

Catherine Long (Student 2019)
Catherine Long

The use of repetition works with your character's state of mind, not being able to think properly. Why write about a guy being malled by a bear? Did he do something to the bear that created it to attack him?

Rebecca Snyder (Student 2019)
Rebecca Snyder

I think you did succeed in your use of repetition to convey the act of remembering. I also like your use of questions throughout the memory to convey this same act of remembering the memory and switching from past to present. What was his experience living in this cabin? How can you expand on those emotions?

Carolina Ortiz-Lugo (Student 2019)
Carolina Ortiz-Lugo
  1. I noticed that you were able to use repetition in your writing and I think it worked pretty well since the character in your memory was in a state that didn't really allow them to think straight.
  2. I liked the writing overall, I also thought it was funny which might be a little weird but I think it had to do with the way you described some things.
Nzinga Suluki-Bey (Student 2019)
Nzinga Suluki-Bey

You did use a lot of repetitive language which was well done because it made the reader remember it was future to past. I am wondering who the person was who they guy saw. Why did the bear attach him?

Jason Chen (Student 2019)
Jason Chen
  1. I can see how you emulate Atwood style and how she askes questions. And how you can see a difference because when she was talking about the past or present.
  2. Overall this was a very interesting memory that was created. I felt like I was there having the battle with the bears. I wonder made you lead to creating this memory?