Researching The Issue: Same Sex Marriage in Pennsylvania

I'm not quite sure if 2010 or even 2011 will be a good year for my issue. On one hand, there seems to be issues that are the top priorities of the state and country. And regulating same sex marriage does not fall into either of those categories.  On the other hand, majority of the elected House Representatives and Senators are either influential on this issue or take position for it. That would be an advantage on the process of getting a law passed.  

I looked into each member on the list of state legislators for pennsylvania, and each of them voted Nay on the Same Sex Marriage Resolution Act in 2006. This Act followed the Defense of Marriage Act; and both gave states the right not to recognize a same sex marriage that was granted in another state. They all also voted Nay on the Marriage Definition Constitutional Amendment. This shows the history of their votes on anti- gay marriage legislature, but it doesn't show their position on the issue. Many of the politicians did not give their position on the issue of same sex marriage. I don't know how to analyze that fact.

Senator Arlen Spector is my main 'opponent' in this process. He voted the Defense of Marriage Act through a decade ago, and according to Project Vote Smart, shares very little interest with the Human Rights Campaign- who actively promotes gay rights. As a State Senator, he has an important vote in the legislative process, but if his one opposing vote stood alone, it wouldn't have much effect.

Governor Ed Rendell didn't openly express his position on the issue of gay marriage, but I'd assume that he is a supporter, and as Governor, his  final approval makes the process run smoother.
No recent policy has been written for Pennsylvania on the topic of same sex marriage, but acts, laws, and policies have been written and/ or passed in other states.  

There are many public supporters behind this issue, but I would say that the most active, and the most publicized would be the Human Rights Campaign which is nation- wide.

I began to look through the list of lobbying issues and topics, but did not find anything related to same sex marriage recognition in pennsylvania. To be honest I didn't look through the entire list, so I'm sure there are many, I just cannot name any specific lobbyist or group of lobbyists.

Hopefully I'll influence all allies of the Lesbian, Bi- sexual, Gay, and Transgender community to become actively involved in the politics of their residential state at least because the legislature of their state affects them immediately before any other legislation.

Link to House Committee Meeting Schedules:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/CO/HM/COHM.HTM

Link to Senate Committee Meeting Schedules:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/CO/SM/COSM.HTM