Robert Jenkins Capstone

Name: Robert Jenkins

Mentor: Chris Lehmann - I selected him because he’s the coach of the Ultimate team and has experience in running ultimate tournaments and leagues. 

Summary: My capstone was to host a high school ultimate frisbee tournament called Huck To The Moon.

Abstract: For my capstone, I decided to host a high school ultimate tournament that would work as a fundraiser for the Ultimate team. Originally this project  started off as a two day event with 16 teams, but due to heavy rains I had to postpone the event to the following weekend which caused a conflict with a number of teams spring break schedule. Through out the process of organizing the event I learned about money management  such as budgeting.One of the hardest factors of completing this project was keeping a step-by-step plan and sticking to it.Even though my plan was derailed by early contract fall outs with locations and team payment scrambling due to that confusion.

Bibliography:

Rick Atkins(PADA)

Atkins, Rick. Personal interview. 29 Dec. 2013.

Rick Atkins is PADA board president and is in charge of alot of logistics for the organization such as insurance/waivers and field permitting. The Philadelphia  Area Disc Alliance is the cites ultimate facilitator offering playing opportunities for people of all ages and skill levels.Through different programs and subdivision such PADA YO and PHUEL. 

Brit Bigley(PADA YO)

Bigley, Brit. Personal Interview. 5 Oct. 2013

PADA Yo is program with a goal of teaching and increasing the overall popularity of Ultimate Frisbee.They send out experienced players to various middle schools and recreation centers throughout the city to instruct a 10 week program about the principles of Ultimate and Spirit of The Game.Brit Bigley served as my primary contact into this program she assigned me to the recreation center and middle school pick-up in the fall.

Charles Boehm

"Pennsbury School District." Pennsbury School District. N.p.,  27 Jan. 2014.

A middle school in the Pennsbury School district that was the orginal site for my event.It offered a playground space that could fit 11 fields comfortably.Ultimately the event was moved from this space because of a in school event that made parking access for both function impossible.However the experienced helped learn how secure fields.

Friction Gloves

"Friction Gloves - HOME." Friction Gloves. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2014.

A start-up company providing a product call friction gloves with the mission statement that they are the all purpose Ultimate Frisbee glove.The company is serving as an official sponsor for the event.The sponsorship helps  to  bring a fun factor the event with a  face that is becoming familiar in  Ultimate sporting it.This also brought to my attention that a cool thing I could have is a Capt./Coach packet which is where every teams captain gets a free gift.

Anthony Iwazsko

Iwazsko, Anthony. Personal interview. 

Former President and current board member at The Washington Area Flying Disc Club.He provide insite on how to run an ultimate frisbee tournament and what to beware of while negotiating prices on different services.Such as what should be expected from field spaces if the cost over a certain wage.He also describe different tournament brackets that would be ideal for a 10 team tournament.

LeagueVine By Mark Liu

Liu, Mark. "Explore Leagues." TD Tuesdays. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2014.

The website provides a blog called TD tuesdays in which they breakdown different aspects of running a tournament.It covers everything from the necessities  such as food and water.To kind of fun factor you can add in order to turn your ordinary tournament to 5 star event that teams are begging to come to in the next coming years.The website also has an application in which you can use it as an alternative score reporter.

PHUEL

"Home - Philadelphia High School Ultimate Education League." Home - Philadelphia High School Ultimate Education League. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2014.

Philadelphia High School Ultimate Educational League is the local High School league servicing teams from the greater Philadelphia area and surrounding counties.The league's serviced as a product base for the tournament with over an anticipation of more than half of participating teams coming from this league including SLA based teams.

Cathy Roberts

Roberts, Cathy. E-mail interview. 6 Jan. 2014.

Cathy Roberts is an event planner and SLA parent. She has helped me with planning out non-ultimate supplies such as what caters to hire and stores I should look at in order to save money.She also has helped me develop a list of companies I could try to get potential sponsorships from and how  to market the event to them to each one of them. 

Tino Leto Fields (SCCSA-Norbert Sax)

"SCCSA Soccer: Southern Chester County Soccer Association." SCCSA Soccer: Southern Chester County Soccer Association. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2014.

Tino Leto is the primary athletic facility for SCCSA and the official location for Huck To The Moon.The fields have recently been opened back up to the public after a complete renovation in the spring of 2012.SCCSA is Southern Chester County Soccer Association that works with providing spaces for soccer events.

Savage Ultimate

"SAVAGE | The ULTIMATE Apparel Company." SAVAGE. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2014

An apparel company based out of  South Carolina, that specializes in creating customize gear for ultimate frisbee teams, tournaments, and leagues.Heather Olin is the head of tournament sales at Savage Ultimate, I contacted her for a potential sponsorship from Savage.They offered discount on custom gear bearing that we sell $300 on gear at the tournament.Ultimately this source was unhelpful because it create an opportunity in which I was not guaranteed any benefits and with this being the first time SLA is hosting a ultimate tournament I have no past data to support how much revenue we could expect on the day of the event.

SPONSORSHIP GUIDE 

"HOW CAN TOURNAMENT AND LEAGUE ORGANIZERS GET THE SPONSORSHIP THEY WANT?" HOW CAN TOURNAMENT AND LEAGUE ORGANIZERS GET THE SPONSORSHIP THEY WANT? (n.d.): n. pag. Web.

This is  an article on how the tournament director would promote and sale his tournament to potential sponsors. He broke down his methods depending on the type of sponsorship he wanted, what was size  and national recognition of the company and who he would have to contact.For example in his pitch to Gatorade he used graphical analysis and company testimonials to show how successful he was with smaller sponsors.Foreshadowing that if he was giving a bigger budget he could expand to much more profitable event.

TheWrightLife

"Disc Golf | Frisbee Golf | Innova Discs | DiscMania | The Wright Life." Disc Golf | Frisbee Golf | Innova Discs | DiscMania | The Wright Life. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2014.

The store sales Ultimate  Frisbee Wooden Trophies in which tournament directors can have their tournament logo engraved onto a wooden disc.i used this source because it's where I plan on but the tournament awards from.

USA Ultimate

"USA Ultimate." USA Ultimate. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2014.

The governing body for ultimate frisbee in United States and Canada.The organization host a lot tournament at the masters, club, college and youth level.Along with being the general holder of information about tournaments hosted by individual organization through its score reporter application.