Rubber Stamp

Screenshot 2017-05-15 at 17.59.25
Screenshot 2017-05-15 at 17.59.25

Our assignment was to create a stamp or logo that represented us. The point of having this logo was so that we could then have a symbol for which we could be recognized by. We had to figure out ways to use negative and positive space to our advantage.

When I was thinking of my logo I thought of things that I like, feel strong about and do. In the beginning I was thinking of do something more complex like a surfer and palm tree forming a K but I am not a very good drawer and it was hard to tell what it was. I then thought of using the sign language sign for K because K is the first letter of my name and because the sign looks like a peace sign. After looking at my teachers logos, Marcie Hull and Steven Herrera, I was inspired to create a more simple logo that involved my initials, like theirs. I first started by sketching and trying out anything I could think of. Eventually I came across the idea of having the B and K be next to each other. After thinking some more I thought I could put a T across the center making the B and K clearer. I decided to use negative space for the T as it allowed me to include meanwhile being discreet. After looking at it for a bit I decided to add a rectangle above the top of the T in positive place to make it more clear and because I thought it looked nice. By now I had it all on my computer because I found it easier to navigate negative and positive space this way. I finally decided that I was going to add the G in positive space at the bottom part of the B. I finally liked my logo so I decided that I didn’t want to change much so I just cleaned it up to make it look nicer.

It was a hard process to understand negative and positive space for me as I had never thought of images and things in this way and it was a bit mind boggling. I got stuck a lot with trying to understand how you could fit another image inside one however I was able to solve this when I saw the arrow inside the FedEX logo. For some reason this example, after already seeing so many, made sense to me and made my mind click. I was able to learn a lot about negative and positive space but the biggest thing that stuck out to me was that their can both be used to your advantage if you know how too and by knowing how to use them it can change the way you design/create a image or logo.