Ryan Francis Lobbying Post #3!

1. What is the status of your issue at the legislature? Is this a "good" year?

This year is a good year for the legislation because in August of 2011, Ms. Blondell Brown proposed that a Curfew law pass in Philadelphia, Nutter signed an order temporarily moving the curfew to 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays for everyone under the age of 18.They are in Center City, the downtown area, and University City, the West Philadelphia neighborhood where the University of Pennsylvania is located. Throughout the rest of the city, the curfew will remain 10 p.m. for those under the age of 13 and those for minors under the age of 18.

The Law states:

"Minors who are caught breaking curfew will be sent home, brought home or transported to a police station where their parents will be contacted. Minors may be issued a citation with a $100 to $300 fine for a first offense," the city said in a press release." - CNN coverage 

The 3 people on the City Council who would be for my cause are:

Blondell Reynolds Brown

BRBphoto_LG

Councilwoman Blondell  is an educator, community activist, political leader and concerned parent, her focus and commitment to help others defined her work prior to her election to Philadelphia City Council. Councilwoman Reynolds Brown devotes her programmatic and legislative efforts toward improving the quality of life for our city’s most vulnerable citizens, children.

Maria D. Quinones-Sanchez

MDQSLG
Councilwoman Sanchez serves as Chair of the Committee of Licenses and Inspections, Vice Chair of the Streets and Services and also serves on Appropriations; Labor and Civil Service; Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs; Commerce and Economic Development; Public Health and Human Services; Education; Housing, Neighborhood Development and the Homeless and the Disabled and the Handicapped.
Donna Miller
Council President Anna C. Verna - 2nd District
A lifelong resident of Germantown, Councilwoman Miller has dedicated more than thirty years of public service as a professional or volunteer. Councilwoman Miller currently serves on City Council’s “Committee of the Whole, Appropriations, Housing and Homeless, Streets and Services, Ethics, Environment, Rules and Public Property.

2. Who is essential to the outcome?

Of course I would need to contact Mayor Nutter somehow, because he would be the deciding factor in all of this. But to start small, I could get in touch with Ms. Blackwell again and talk to her about whom I should be contacting to get the information I need on my lobbying topic.

3. Who else is working on this? Can you coordinate?

Blondell Brown is currently helping Mayor Nutter clean up the streets of Philadelphia with recreation, educational offers, and different laws to keep not only our citizens safe, but our youth. She has also is known for revising “childcare” definitions through legislation, authorizing childcare facilities to operate and function within commercial districts and neighborhood shopping centers, equipped police officers with a new and stronger curfew law, and introduced legislation that amended the City Charter to create a Youth Commission for young people in Philadelphia. She's the person I really need to get in contact with.

4. Who can you influence?

Most likely Ms. Blondell. She has a strong background of being involved in keeping our city streets safe. At all the ward meetings and council gatherings she's always had ideas that became actions to help our youth stay out of trouble. Some of those acts included the curfew laws, and a lot of fundraising for some of the schools who needed books and supplies. Recently on December 12th, she and Mayor Nutter passed the Equal Benefits bill which requires certain city service contractors to offer the same benefits to the life partners of their employees as are offered to the spouses of married employees. Councilwoman Blondell: “For 13 years, City employees have been eligible to receive benefits for their life partners. The Equal Benefits Bill is a natural extension of that recognition,” said Mayor Nutter. “The City of Philadelphia is an ally to the LGBT community and will continue to show support against issues of inequality.” - Blondell's reason for wanting the law. This action shows me how active she is in the community, and how much influence on change she has in Philadelphia.

a. Whom I can get in touch with?

One of my mom's friends Lynn Hogben has access to each Ward Meeting that takes place around Philadelphia. In earlier months, she's helped me interview Jannie Blackwell, and sit in on the election meeting. My plan is to call Mrs. Hogben, and ask her to let me tag along with her to meet Ms. Blondell Brown, and discuss with her her plan of action to cure Philadelphia's streets, and to help Children further lives without getting caught up in drugs and lose them to the streets

5. What is the time frame?

The time frame will be from after the Holidays until February 14th

6. When are key dates - meetings, committee hearings, deadlines, etc.