S.Kabangai- Food Benchark.- GINGER ROOT DRINK

Samuel Kabangai.

Recipe

Ginger roots
sugar
liquid lime
Water

need

need a clean filter cloth
1 bowl

Directions

1. Wash off the ginger roots and cut them up into slices.

(Make sure the ginger is small enough to chop smoothly in a blender).

2. Blend the ginger roots in a blender.

3. Take the blended ginger roots and pours it through the filter into the bowl.

4. Add any amount of water on the ginger while it’s in the filter.

(Make sure you squeeze the filter so the ginger juice can pour through the filter)

5. Repeat #4 until the ginger has no more juice comes out the filter.

6. Add a half a bottle of limejuice and mix.

7. Add the amount of sugar you want and mix until it’s at the taste you want.

(Lime and sugar depends on the amount of juice you have.)

GINGER ROOTS

Ginger is well known as a remedy for travel sickness, nausea and indigestion and is used for wind, colic, irritable bowel, loss of appetite, chills, cold, flu, poor circulation, menstrual cramps, dyspepsia (bloating, heartburn, flatulence), indigestion and gastrointestinal problems such as gas and stomach cramps. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb and there has been much recent interest in its use for joint problems. It has also been indicated for arthritis, fevers, headaches, toothaches, coughs, bronchitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, to ease tendonitis, lower cholesterol and blood pressure and aid in preventing internal blood clots.

SELF REFLECTION

In this unit, I have learned a lot of information about what we consume and it’s origin. What I mean by its origin is where everything is processed through the food industry. I like to add that the food industries have many secrets that have been exposed that left me questioning the food system and what we consume on a daily basis.  The Food Inc. documentary was a factual and evidential piece that encouraged me to be more aware of what I choose to eat. 

One of the biggest problems that I came across with our food system is the ignorance and the “I don’t care” attitude that majority of the public has towards the food they eat and the process of it or what it contains in these products. Another problem that I feel as though is an issue is the fact that many companies keep the process of how they make the food a secret and they are so reluctant of letting people see how the food is made. Lastly, what I found to be a problem is how livestock are being treated before they are slaughtered and how they are being slaughtered in the house.

Many people can change or edit what they eat; it’s hard to change diet but it can be done slowly and step by step. Some changes I can make is that I can be more careful of what I eat and ever since the class; I have started eating more fruit and drinking more water. Honestly I still eat Chinese food on a regular basis and I also mainly eat home cooked meals. One thing that works for me is that, I exercise a lot and work out a lot to keep my body in shape and healthy. I sense a change in my healthy, I have more energy and generally I feel more and more better. 

SOURCES

"Ginger Root Benefits & Information." Herb Information, Benefits, Discussion and News. Web. 09 Nov. 2011. <http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-ginger-root.html>.

"Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Ginger Root, Raw." Nutrition Facts, Calories in Food, Labels, Nutritional Information and Analysis – NutritionData.com. Web. 09 Nov. 2011. <http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2447/2>.