Link to work: http://thebookofmermaids.weebly.com/
My idea originated a few years back, when I decided that I wanted to write a book about mermaids. I had always liked mythology and fantasy novels. I decided that I wanted to be an author a while ago, but have never completed any kind of book or gone through the process of writing and coming up with the story. Originally, I wanted my capstone to be to write the book. However, I realized fairly soon into the process that I needed to spend more time developing the characters and stories. If I took that time and also tried to finish writing an entire book, I knew the book wouldn't turn out very good because of lack of time to prep the book, and also complete writing it. This gave me the idea to do a "website for the book." On this website, I would have fully developed characters complete with drawings, real history and mythology, a prologue, and photography (that would eventually become part of the book).
- "Character Development Tips." Character Development Tips. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://www.pgtc.com/~slmiller/characterdevelopment.htm>. - This source gives me a lot of information about character development, which is extremely important for my capstone. One of the main things I’m doing is character development. I have had trouble with it in the past, so learning more about it has a lot of importance to me.
- "Mermaid." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 29 Jan. 2014. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid>. This source just gives me some basic information about mermaids. I can also use wikipedia to find other sources and get a lot of the basics of my information.
- "Mermaid Mythology." Mermaid Mythology. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/mermaid-mythology.html>.- This source tells me a lot about the original mermaid myths. It talks a lot about a goddess from Syrian mythology that inspired a lot of my story. I am researching more about these myths and basing my story behind it.
- "Mermaid's Treasures." Mermaid myths, legends, and folklore. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://seamagick.net/mermaids/mermaid-myths>. - This source has a lot of information. It starts out having general information about mermaids. It then goes on to have information about mermaids from different countries. It also has a list of mermaid hoaxes and a list of a few mermaid books listed.
- Mermaids: The Body Found. Dir. Sid Bennett. Perf. Sean Cameron Michael, Andre Weideman, Candice D'Arcy, David Soul. Animal Planet, 2011. Film.- This is a fake documentary about mermaids. It gave me a lot of ideas for some of the minor characters for my novel.
- "Portrait Photography Tips." Digital Photography School RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://digital-photography-school.com/portrait-photography-tips>.- I am going to be photographing things for my guide book and a lot of the photos will be portraits. I haven’t done a lot of portraits in the past, and this source gives me a lot tips for doing them.
- Radford, Benjamin. "Mermaids & Mermen: Facts & Legends." LiveScience. TechMedia Network, 23 Sept. 2013. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://www.livescience.com/39882-mermaid.html>.- This source has a lot of science facts about mermaids.
- Reif, Cheryl. "Crafting Believable Villains: 52 Questions to Ask." Cheryl Reif Writes. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://www.cherylreif.com/2011/04/18/crafting-believable-villains-52-questions-to-ask/>.- The one thing I still really need to work on is developing an evil character. I haven’t had too many ideas so far. This source has a lot of tips and ideas around creating an villain.
- "Syrian Boy & Girl Names." Syrian Names. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-syrian-names.html>.- This source will help me with naming my characters and keeping them close to their heritage.
- "Underwater Photography Guide." Underwater Photography Guide. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/>.- I will probably be doing some underwater photography, which is something I have never done before. This has a lot of sources about underwater photography that I can use.