Sasha's Q3 Art Blog

​Here I have:
Texture
Small Self-Portrait
Large Self Portrait
Side Copied image
Shading
Two-Point Perspective

Water: Part of the Texture assignment, the first part was water. For this, as well as every other assignment, my chosen medium was .05 mm mechanical pencil, and 4B, 2B, and HB shading pencils. I started by really looking at the water. I looked at it from the angle of "what colors are here, and what defines the space and shadows?". What I realized what that there were only 3 colors to bring out, and they were black, grey, and a white/grey nuance.I also looked at the shape of the waves and saw that they were more like lines rocking back and forth. So, I decided to start with lines; making variations in the direction that they rocked. Then the hardest part was diced which part was lighter and which part was darker. (I used a mid-tone to help give the allusion of the darks and lights as well.) I enjoyed this very much. I feel as though I was able to bring out the illusion of waster by really making my lights, light and my darks, dark. 

Hair: Hair, the second installment of the texture assignment was definitely the easiest to me. I drew from life using the rubber eraser, .05mm mech pencil, and 4B, 2B, and HB shading pencils, I drew from life using my face. I started with a mid-tone, and then by the drawing the shape of my face and afterwards, the outlines of my hair's shape. What I did was look for the light of my hair, and the shadows from or on my hair darkened. I erased  the lighter areas of my hair, especially at the top, and I also followed a trail down strands of some of my hair. I feel like it was successful.

Scales: Scales was a bit more of a challenge, but I realized that it too was just shapes and shading. Using my same tools as before, I used an image form the web and started an outline of the snakes shape, and it was a pretty simple shape. I shaded the entire thing to get a nice mid-tone going as well. I then looked at the of each scale itself. Realizing that they were hexagons. I tediously drew the shape of the hexagons, while keeping in mid perspective. From there, I did a bit of shading and coloring around each scale and I also found a particular part of the snake that had a bright lighting, so I lightened that area. 

Small Self-Portrait: This piece that was done earlier on the in year, but one of my favorites. Drawn from life, I used the same tools as before and started with a nice mid-tone and the outline of my face. I tend to start with my nose. I feel like If I can capture the shape of my cheekbones and nose, the picture can turn out great. I then moved to my eyebrow area and forehead and eyes. I can say that capturing the correct lighting in my eyes was difficult at first, but I think I got it down. I didn't focus too much on my hair, but I did get the shape down, as well as the shadows that it generated along my neck. Another thing that I returned to was the getting the light along my cheekbones, nose and eyes. In particular, the nose had the brightest lighting along it, so I lightened up around there for more definition. In general, I realized that lights and darks bring the more dimension to pictures, so I tired to really bring them out. 

Large Self-Portrait: For this piece, which I could say that I worked a bit hard in the beginning, was also drawn from life. Looking at myself, I started with a large and dark mid-tone, and from there, I started with the bridge of my nose and them my cheekbones and eyes. I can says that hard part was capturing the lights and shadows around my jaw line and lips, and a better job could have been done. I then proceeded to hair, which I really didn't give much attention too. I also found that the source of light was behind my head, so I had to really lighten up the sides, and really darken some areas around my jaw. I realized that I changed this drawing around a lot and I'm still to pleased with the final product, but eh, I tried. 

Personal Work: For the personal work, using my same material as before, I wanted to work more on practicing observation and and shading. Using an image that I found on the web, I basically looked at it and tried to the drawing the lines, lights and darks just as they were. It was a bit easier, because the lights and darks themselves were more dramatic, so I was able to really bring them out. Highlighting the hair was especially good practice for me, because I was able to image the angle the light was shone across the face. My favorite part would be the collarbone area, because I felt like I really captured the soft, yet stern neck and its shadow. Also the darkest shadow on the inside of the coat I felt was a great contrast from my mid-tone and really brought out a greater illusion.

Shading 1: This practice was the most simple of the drawings. Starting very dark on the edges, I smudged the pencil across evenly until I go tot the middle of the paper. Using my rubber eraser, I ran a straight line down the center to give the illusion of sunlight cracking through a pair of doors. 

2. A bit harder, I stared with a plain circle, and began the shading around the circle first. I started at the top and shaded heavily, switching between 4B and HB at times and then I smudged down. I then began to shade heavily along the bottom edge of the circle. Using a paper towel, I smudged upwards in a rocking motion to give it more of a round, spherical appearance. The final touch was at the top, where the brightest part was erased to give it light- note that it was eased in a curvy way, to emphasize the shape of the sphere.

3. Even more challenging, but it was one of my favorites. I started with the same outline as the 1, but when in came to shading the circle the idea was to present concavity. The smaller circle was drawn inside of the larger circle, and the most important part was the dark shading more at the top. That gave that part of the sphere depth, like it had a dent in it.

4. This is my favorite as it was more challenging then all. The idea was to shade the circle such that it had the illusion thats it was being view in a top view,  and thats its shape was more pointy. The hardest part was the cent. I saw that the dark spot in the center was suppose to be a heavy shadow generated from the tip of the object, so I started there. From there, it was all about capturing the shape of the shadows, and giving them a cone like shape- as if they were wrapped around the object. 

Two-Point Perspective:
E- This letter was draw from observing the key elements- the fact that the shape followed two vanishing points. Keeping that in mind, the lines was the easy part. I was easily able to give depth to the picture by keeping my horizon line present as well.

Room- Just as simply as I did the letter E, drawing the room was just as simple. Using my mech pencil and a ruler,  I just used lines and perspective to make the room.
water
water
Hair
Hair
Scales
Scales
Small
Small
Large
Large
Guy
Guy
1
1
2
2
3
3
4
4
E
E
ROOM
ROOM