Sci-Soc: Food BenchMark Q2

1 lb of salted cod 
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1/2 large avocado or a whole small avocado, chopped 
2 hard boiled eggs, diced 
olive oil 

preparation

First rinse the salt off the cod. If you have the time you can also let it soak for about 30 minutes. I usually don’t have the time so I just give it a good rinse. 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, drop your cod in let it boil for about 10 mins and then change the water. Repeat this step 3 times, changing the water each time. 

During the last boil add your eggs. boil for about 7 minutes, transfer to a bowl with some of the hot water and let it sit about another 5 minutes or until ready to peel and dice. 

Sweat onions into a hot skillet with 2 Tbs of olive oil. Cook the onion until they just begin to get opaque, do not cook them through, you want to maintain a bit of a crunch. 

Drain cod fish. Combine, onions, cod fish, eggs and avocado in a large bowl. Drizzle with 3 Tbs of olive oil and toss, breaking up cod fish.

Served over a bed of white rice. Keep the olive oil handy in case you want an extra drizzle.

Analysis- 

Analysis- Continued

Approximately what percent of the meal is processed vs. whole food?

Eggs- whole food

Cod Fish- Processed

Olive Oil- Processed

Onions- Whole food

Avocado- Whole food

Health/nutrition:  

Use the nutritional info on the label to estimate the caloric content, sugar content, fat content, etc.  

Reflection:

What is your role in the larger food system?

My role in the food system is to dictate what needs to be mass-produced. If I buy a lot of one product the need for that product increases. Such as during ‘Food Inc.’ when the need for one product increase, manufacturers ramp up the form of production. If more people began changing that way they eat, or how it is produced then the food industries would have no choice but to change.

What do you see as the biggest problems with our food system, and why? The problem with our food system is how food is made and the type of changes it has made on the human digestive system. When you add higher amount of sugar or salt to the human diet it changes how humans function

What are some changes you could make to your food choices?

When Mr. Best read from the book about health, there was a part that said do not eat anything that has more than five ingredients, or even just not eating products that have ingredients that you can not pronounce.

What would be the impact of these changes?

There would be less mass-produced foods mainly due to the fact that they have thousands of ingredients and many of them are sugar, salt, or acid related.

Are you willing to make these changes?

It this stage of my life, I do not have to means to make such a decision, if in the future I have more money or an easier why of getting to an organic market that I would change, but going into college I don’t have the capability to promise such a change

Egg- 63 Calories, 4g Fat, 186mg Cholesterol, 6g Protein

Un-washed Cod Fish (2.oz)- 60 Calories, 0.5g Fat, 30mg Cholesterol, 3720mg Sodium (is reduced when washed), 15g Protein

Olive Oil (1 tbsp)- 119 Calories, 14g Fat

Onion (sliced)- 46 Calories, 5mg Sodium, 11g Carbohydrates, 1g Protein

Avocado (1 cup)- 240 Calories, 22g Fat, 11mg Sodium, 13g Carbohydrates, 3g Protein

It will easily digest it, and use the vitamins and other nutrients with in the meal. Your stomach take out the various vitamins and proteins to help your body, then as it passes through your system, a great deal of the salt is also taken out. You would gain high blood pressure from overexposure sodium, and fat.

Environmental:  

What state/country do you think your ingredients came from?

Eggs- USA

Cod Fish- Canada

Olive Oil- Italy

Onions- USA

Avocado- Mexico

Which food traveled the farthest?  Olive Oil 

How many total miles did your meal travel?  8012 Miles, all together

Was it organically grown (not as much fertilizer/pesticide/fossil fuel) or commercially grown?  

Eggs- commercially grown

Cod Fish- commercially grown

Olive Oil- organic

Onions- organic

Avocado- organic

Trosario- FoodRule
Trosario- FoodRule