Semaj's Instrumental Blog Post #2

To remind you of what we talked about in my last blog, I chose to build a guitar of my own for my physics project. In this blog post I will talk to you about the sound vibrations, pitch and the materials I will need to use to build my instrument. 

Sound from a guitar is produced by plucking or strumming the strings which are all different sizes to my understanding there are six strings on guitar and each strong makes a different sound while holding your finger down on different sections of the neck. When you pluck or strum the strings the strings vibrate from where your finger is on the neck down to the end of the body of the guitar.

To change the pitch of my instrument I will have to adjust the machine heads also known as the tuners, I would have to turn these tuners to the left or the right in order to get a high or low pitch. There are many parts to a guitar but I think the important physical characteristics would have to be 16 out of the 20 parts of the guitar.

1. Headstock
  2. Nut
  3. Machine heads (or pegheads, tuning keys, tuning machines, tuners)
  4. Frets
  5. Truss rod
  6. Inlays
  7. Neck
  8. 8.     Body
  9. 9.     Pickups
  10. 10.   Electronics
  11. 11.   Bridge
  12. 12.   Pickguard
  13. 13.   Soundboard 
  14. 14.   Sound hole
  15. 15.   Strings
  16. 16.   Fretboard (or Fingerboard)

To build this guitar I will need wood to build the body, some plastic pieces for different parts of the guitar, some twisted screws for the machine heads, wire and thin metal piping for the fret board and I will need different sized plastic string for the actual strings of the guitar. All of these materials should be able to cover the necessary components of the guitar.

I will construct this instrument in my Advanced Engineering class that way I have all the materials I need at my fingertips, If that time id not enough I will also take extra time out of my day to stay after school to try to complete the guitar.