Sex Talk

I get intrigued when the author speaks about intimacy and sex. I think there is a lot to say about how our society deals with sex and intimacy versus the Republic of Gilead.

The Republic of Gilead tends to denounce sex and intimacy. “That was a part of it, the sex was too easy. Anyone could just buy it. There was nothing to work for. Nothing to fight for” [page 210]. I somewhat agree with this. I wonder if sex is meant to be sacred. I think this idea could be influenced by religious belief that once ruled the US. Personally, I think sex is whatever you make of it. I don’t like to say it is easy to have sex, I think sex is more accessible because more people are willing to talk about it now. It is less taboo now due to our generation. The age of sex seems to go lower and lower because of media influence. It used to be upwards of 20 and now it can be ranging from 15+. I don’t have a problem with it though, it is just interesting to notice what caused the age of interest. As long as it is consensual and legal, I am indifferent about age or age gap during sex.

Throughout the whole book, there is a bad connotation about sex. There are no feelings involved but in a bad way. People agree with friends with benefits and that is a destructive relationship people choose to put themselves in. In Gilead, it is not an agreement. There is no choice. There are no feelings attached to your decision on sex. “But this is wrong, nobody dies from lack of sex. It’s lack of love we die from. There’s nobody here I can love, all the people I could love are dead or elsewhere”[page103]. Love is a connection. I think love can be interpreted in different ways since there are many ways to show someone you love them. I think connection is something humans crave so I can understand why Offred is going insane. Especially since she was torn from her relationship with Luke. She definitely longs for feeling. The feeling to be needed and being something to someone. I would probably go insane as well. As an introvert, I need a lot of validation from myself and people I really care about. The reassurance aspect of a relationship knowing someone is present in your life gives your stability. Offred does not have stability in her life. I believe that is why she thinks about Moria and Luke often. She is holding on to the stability she used to have.

I was gasping while reading this section. In. Literal. Shock. It was so casual before and then boom. “Women kneeling, sucking penises or guns, women tied up or chained or with dog collars around their necks, women hanging from trees, or upside-down, naked, with their legs held apart, women being raped, beaten up, killed.”[page 118]. How is this even allowed?! I think porn is unrealistic and especially the example Aunt Lydia gives. The extremities of certain topics instill fear. It is true but unrealistic on a general scale. I do understand how porn creates unrealistic standards for couples. Porn makes sex more difficult with fake scenes and noises. It is overly dramatized and if you don’t fit a certain way of doing sex, then you’re bad at sex. I also think hookup culture could be one of the reasons why Gilead exists. People frown upon sex workers and easy sex. The way how sex can be for many things such as imitancy, fun, and reproduction. Gilead only views sex for reproduction purposes. There should be no pleasure in sex as it is a human duty to reproduce. I do not agree with this idea. Sex should feel comfortable and pleasurable. Breeding is a human duty but it should be consensual for both parties. The Republic of Gilead wants to strip the connection built in sex and have breeding done in its most natural form. It is not enjoyable for all parties as shown during the Ceremony. It feels like a simulation of life. It may be simple to follow but it is unethical in ways. It reminds me of forceful dog breeders. People should be able to build connections and be intimate with each other in ways they may not do with others. Sex is sacred in a sense that individuals share it by their own decision. Choice is what they need. Sex is a choice. Intimate sex is what humans deserve.