Sianneh Vesslee Capstone

For my Capstone I had the chance to look at how Cuba reports it's news and what kind of information do the Cuban people have access to. I decided to do this project because I had the opportunity to go to Cuba with eight other girls and four teachers for a program. I chose this as my research project to cover while I was there. For my final project, I decided to write an article myself and talk about my experience and how they report their news and what the Cuban people see in the media. It was very challenging at first to get real answers from the people that we were able to talk to, which made sense considering how strict their government is. However, the more we got to interact with people like our tour guide and the speakers, the more I was able to understand that they word their answer in a certain way to answer my question. I was started to catch on and see that their problem are subtle and we can say whatever and do whatever you want, but it’s what you do and say that get you in trouble or labels you as trouble maker. It was a very eye opening experience and it made me want to not only visit Cuba again, but also travel to more places and learn about different cultures

For my Capstone I had the chance to look at how Cuba reports it’s news and what kind of information do the Cuban people have access to. I decided to do this project because I had the opportunity to go to Cuba with eight other girls and four teachers for a program. I chose this as my research project to cover while I was there. For my final project, I decided to write an article myself and talk about my experience and how they report their news and what the Cuban people see in the media. It was very challenging at first to get real answers from the people that we were able to talk to, which made sense considering how strict their government is. However, the more we got to interact with people like our tour guide and the speakers, the more I was able to understand that they word their answer in a certain way to answer my question. I was started to catch on and see that their problem are subtle and we can say whatever and do whatever you want, but it’s what you do and say that get you in trouble or labels you as trouble maker. It was a very eye opening experience and it made me want to not only visit Cuba again, but also travel to more places and learn about different cultures

Article: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MWHF2_IIlkYCCWX1JVQnhq2XLJ4dtVMjfdyrC1YFUSY/edit?usp=sharing 
 Bibliography: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cu1uG3zGRvKO_m55ah9RFBzvmYUQd3lkmfFPr7AJyFs/edit