Slideshow & Artist’s Statement - Emmett Tsai-McCarthy

Artist's Statement:
The main inspiration for my artwork is anime and manga.  I've always loved the style of anime, and I've even adopted a few of the techniques used in the medium.  Another inspiration would be animals.  Not real-life animals so to speak, but fictional animals/creatures that have real-world inspiration.
I mainly like to use pencil, but I have used pen on multiple occasions throughout my sketching career.  I do want to change my habit of drawing in pencil for the sake of honing my skills in different mediums and to give my sketchbooks more "color".  Speaking of color, this marking period was the first time I've actually used multiple colors to fill an entire page on my sketchbook.  I can't exactly remember any other time I've used different colors on more than just a character so this was new territory for me.
I spent most of my time doing the assigned art project during our "studio time".  There was the occasional point where I took a break and did homework, listened to music, and/or read a book.  When doing work outside of "studio time", on the other hand, was very annoying.  It wasn't because it was hard to draw in the conditions (since I finished most of my work in class) but it was because it was such a nuisance to take a picture of my art pieces.  The lighting would always be bad, sometimes using Snapseed (a photo editing app) would make it look worse, a whole bunch would go wrong basically.  I would mostly put the blame on my phone since it's such an old model and its functionality grows weaker and weaker by the day.
One of the most important things an artist wants a viewer to understand is all the hard work he or she put into making their masterpieces and I hope you see that in my work.  So please enjoy the slideshow!