Slideshow and Artist's Statement - Emmett Tsai-McCarthy

Like last quarter, I used digital as the medium for all my drawings.  It's good practice after all.  Speaking of good practice, I found the Figure Drawing assignment to be very helpful in drawing women.  I haven't got much practice drawing the female form so the assignment gave me a reason to actually do so.  I also haven't been consistently using outlining when drawing figures, so it was also helpful in the sense that it made me realize the importance of drawing outlines and then adding everything on top.
Both the Line and Texture Drawings helped me practice drawing small details.  Trying to create the illusion of feathers and fur was what i was mainly trying to learn, but it was also very helpful to learn how to draw things like the texture of vegetables (i.e. peppers, onions, etc.).  The Value Drawing let me explore the textures found in the "brush library" of my digital drawing program as well.
The Illusion of Space Drawing helped me with.  .  . well, the illusion of space.  More specifically, it helped me draw hands that are in the foreground, and the body in the background.  It was also good practice for shading, even if all the effort of shading was only on the hand.  Either way, that's all I really did to make the drawing look third dimensional.  Because of that, I was worried anything else would look bad, so I just did the same thing for the Elements of Art Drawing, which is somewhat disappointing.  I thought it came out nice anyway, so I'm not complaining.