Snapchat Vs Instagram By Kyianna Thomas

Draft Here: 
        There has always been a battle between how teens feel about social media. They want to know what is in and what is out. Teens around the world use social media to talk about what is ‘hot’, what is the new trend, or even what the new gossip is.This is turn helps the market of the respective social media networks in their quest to become  the most popular.There are two main sources that teens use: Instagram and Snapchat. Both claim much devotion and attention from teenage markets. However, when comparing the two, Snapchat’s popularity has overcome Instagram in previous years. Snapchat is the most popular social media app among teenagers because its efficiency and lack of required attention is compatible with the short attention spans and quick pace of teenagers and their interests.  
         According to Www.Statista.com teens around the world voted that Snapchat is the best social media by a slim margin. The statics show that according to test participants ages 13-24 who use these apps are, Snapchat  79%, Facebook  76%, and that Instagram 73%. This data is from February 2017. The site also states that “ Teenager spend nearly 200 minutes per day on their mobile devices.” Although not focusing on Snapchat specifically, this shows how significant technology is in this particular age groups’ lives. Whatever the individual teenager may be consuming, whether it is Snapchat, the news, Youtube, or other features, they are committing a significant amount of time to these interests through technology.               
         Teenagers have open minded opinions on how what they believe is the best app. So here is a student at Science Leadership Academy who feels heavily impacted about this topic. Eli is a reasonable source because he is a teenage who express his actually feeling on these to apps. He currently uses both apps but, he feels like one is better than the other. According to a teenager named Eli Z  he states, “ I believe Snapchat beats out Instagram due to their priority to be a direct messaging app first and a communal app second. Kids tend to use snapchat as a method of communication, like texting. Which relates back to my thesis because snapchat doesn’t show a lack in teens attention span but it shows a lack attention span when teens are on instagram.  Unlike Instagram which prioritizes the community over privacy.” In other words, Snapchat puts less pressure on teenagers to present their lives in a creative or appeasing way through a feed, as Instagram does. Instead, Snapchat presents a more laidback atmosphere so teenagers feel like they can be more of themselves. Not only this, but as mentioned earlier Snapchat is quicker and more efficient and is also an effective means of communication, whereas Instagram requires more effort and energy with its management. So Snapchat is just a camera where you hit a button so you can take a picture. You may also hold your screen and look a the different filter that they have on there too. You can snap a picture of yourself to a friend and it will go  directly to their phone.  As for Instagram you can  dm a person but you have to wait for them to dm you back. Not everybody gets direct notifications to there phone. The word dm means direct message. Now you can see that Snapchat is more realistic when it comes to communication unlike instagram.         
         When asked teenagers might say that social media is just a way to keep up with each other lives, but on closer inspection, teenagers really use it to communicate with each other and also to keep up with the new trend. This is because teens want to be up to speed with everything that is going on in this world. They want to know what is the best social media right now, so they can flock to whatever is hot. This could also explain why teenagers are always having polls on what social media is the best. Teens today around the world are heavily targeted towards Snapchat than Instagram. 

Works CIted“
Snapchat now beats Instagram among teen users.
”Fortune, fortune.com/2016/04/13/snapchat-instagram-piper-jaffray/.

Dunn, Jeff. “Snapchat has teens right under its thumb.” Business Insider, Business Insider, 12 Apr. 2017,www.businessinsider.com/snapchat-instagram-facebook-twitter-popularity-teens-chart-2017-4.
 “U.S. teens: most popular social media apps 2017.” Statista, www.statista.com/statistics/199242/social-media-and-networking-sites-used-by-us-teenagers/.