Soaring

Yeah, the needle hurts a bit. You’ll get used to it. Don’t worry about it, it’s your first time. Here, let me do it for you. Bite down on the belt, okay? Sweet. You got it. Alright, close your eyes. And, there. You’re done. Does it feel like you’re flying? That’s what it felt like for me. Yeah, don’t worry about it. Just relax. Flow with it.

I barely remember my first time. It was pretty great, though. I was fucking soaring. Just riding the moment, you know? You just hit the switch and every day’s a good day. Everything’s beautiful.

Well, define ‘problem.’ Everyone’s addicted to something. That’s my motto. Take a stockbroker: take away their money and they’ll withdraw, just like a priest if you take his faith. Everyone has something that they can’t live without. All we have to do is make sure we don’t run out of it.

You’ll learn to love it, though. I know it hurts the first time, but you’ll get over it. Some people even get addicted to the sting. Can you imagine? I wonder if they can get their fill just by sticking themselves with a needle. That would be much easier, huh? Yeah, just lie down, I’ll be there in a second. Do you remember when we were fifteen, and none of this had happened yet? When the worst thing we’d done was a little weed and some cigarettes? We used to get drunk together, and it meant the world. Man, that was a long, long time ago, huh? I felt so old.

Do you ever feel like the world is so far away? Like, time is just a thing, or something like that. You ever feel so quiet, so gone that everything just moves around you, and you’re frozen? Stuck to the moment? Can you hear me? Wow, you’re gone. Have a nice trip! *chuckles* Gimme a second… I’ll be there soon.

Sarith Chuon (Student 2018)
Sarith Chuon

I somewhat connect to this because of addictions. It can or can not be drugs, and it gave me a second thought about the word "Addiction" when you said how everyone has an addiction. I think that will stick with me

Lily Palmer (Student 2018)
Lily Palmer

I strangely connect to this. The feeling of addiction doesn't always have to do with drugs and your piece really made me think about my addiction. I feel like everyone can connect with a little bit of this character, having something you can't live without. The part about getting drunk and getting old really connected with me. It's just crazy how time flies.

Thomas Wallison (Student 2018)
Thomas Wallison
  1. I can't relate with the main character. I've never done any type of recreational drug and that seems to be mostly what this character is based around.
  2. The part where the main character is talking and the other person is too high to even listen was memorable.
Desarae Gilbert (Student 2018)
Desarae Gilbert

It sounds persuasive; the way this is written made it easier to connect with an actual drug addict/user. The moment where it says "Gimme a second… I’ll be there soon." will stay with me because its as if you are there in this situation.