Stephen White Capstone

For my Senior Capstone project, I chose to tutor Algebra 1. I chose this for a couple of reasons. Math is my favorite subject and it’s the easiest subject to improve in my opinion. But, my main reason was to help others enjoy math as much as I do. A lot of students don’t particularly care for math and a common reason is because they don’t feel confident in the subject. Being a student assistant teacher for Mrs. Giorgio, I saw firsthand which students were confident in their skills and which students were more quiet and just copied down what was on the board without asking clarifying questions. With access to their grades, I could also determine which students could do better.I then chose two students who I saw had a lot of potential, but needed some extra help outside of the classroom to tutor. Together, the students and I chose about 8 standards that we would focus on to help them refine their abilities. Student teaching their class during school, and tutoring the students after school, definitely helped me become more personable and a better teacher. Without any teaching background and just Mrs. Garvey as a reference, I chose to tutor the students the best way I knew how, with visual representations and practice problems. In the beginning of the year, I noticed that not a lot of the students in Mrs. Giorgio’s classroom approached me for help, but now, no one is afraid to ask for my help anymore.
Capstone Presentation

Stephen White

Annotated Bibliography

Senior Capstone

1. Garvey, Erin. Personal interview. 31 Jan. 2015.

Ms. Garvey is my main source because she’s my capstone mentor. Ms. Garvey is the Algebra 1 teacher for all of my students and knows their grades, work ethic, strengths and weaknesses which is helpful for me. As a math teacher, she knows what works and what doesn’t work for students. Ms. Garvey can also give me advice on how to tutor and teach the kids algebra 1 effectively. One limitation of this source is that Ms. Garvey won’t help me create any of the quizzes or notes sheets. She’s more of a consultant. But, as my mentor, I believe that Ms. Garvey will help lead me in the right direction of success with my senior project.

1. Khan, Salman. "Khan Academy." Khan Academy. N.p., 9 Sept. 2006. Web. 27 Jan. 2015.

I selected this source because it’s one of the main math resources that I will use during my capstone. This source provides me with everything I need when it comes to math. From pre-algebra to algebra 2, Khan Academy teaches a number of lessons that I could show the students or base my lessons off of. Another thing about Khan Academy’s website that makes it useful is that it’s easily accessible online so when they’re at home, the kids will be able to study and get instructional video help while they’re at home. It will help make my job easier.

1. Stapel, Elizabeth. "Purplemath." Purplemath. N.p., 1998. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

I selected this source because it’s another one of the main math resources that I will use during my capstone. This source provides me with everything I need when it comes to math. From pre-algebra to algebra 2, Purple Math teaches a number of lessons that I could show the students or base my lessons off of. Another thing about Purple Math’s website that makes it useful is that it’s easily accessible online so when they’re at home, the kids will be able to study and get instructional video help while they’re at home. It will help make my job easier.

1. Latimer, Brad. "Personal Interview." Personal interview. 31 Jan. 2015.

Mr. Latimer is another source because she’s my capstone mentor. Mr. Latimer is a math teacher for a lot of my students, including me. As a math teacher, he knows what works and what doesn’t work for students. Mr. Latimer can also give me advice on how to tutor and teach the kids algebra 1 effectively. One limitation of this source is that Mr. Latimer won’t help me create any of the quizzes or notes sheets. She’s more of a consultant. But, as my mentor, I believe that Mr. Latimer will help lead me in the right direction of success with my senior project.

1. "Solving Systems of Equations by Substitution." Solving Systems of Equations. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

I selected this source because it gives detailed notes on solving systems of equations using substitution, a lesson that the students are currently learning and struggling with. This source provides important notes, practice problems, and examples of systems of equations that can help the kids before they take their standards or their retakes. This helps push the kids to achieve their goal. Unlike other students, my students will have a note sheet that they will study from for their standards.

1. "Solving Systems of Equations in Two Variables." Math Planet -. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

I selected this source because it also gives detailed notes on solving systems of equations with variables, a lesson that the students are currently learning and struggling with. I know that this will probably be one of the worst standards.So when they need to take standard retakes, this source provides important notes, practice problems, and examples of systems of equations that can help the kids before they take their standards or their retakes. This helps push the kids to achieve their goal. Unlike other students, my students will have a note sheet that they will study from for their standards.

1. Martin, Donald. "How to Study Effectively." How to Study Effectively. How to Study Effectively, 1988. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

This source provides information studying effectively. I chose this source because it’s important that the students learn how to study if they want to improve in math. Studying and repetition is the key to perfection. If the students study effectively, they’ll pass their quizzes easily. The source gives tips on building good study habits, taking control, making it enjoyable, and generating a positive attitude. These are all important factors in creating a helpful study session. I plan to print the key points out and present it to the students the first day of tutoring. This way they get an idea on how to make the tutoring sessions successful.

1. Xiao, Emily. "Math Test Generator - How to Make Math Test." Wondershare. N.p., 10 May 2015. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

I selected this source for information on how to build a quiz. This is important for my capstone because I need to create quizzes to teach my students. This source is also helpful because it provides templates that I can use for my math tests. Another feature of this source is that I can even input some of my equations and put them directly on the quizzes. The quizzes will be utilized for each topic and/or lesson that we go over during the study sessions. This essential for the students to complete so they will be able to get practice outside of school. It’s also necessary to gauge how the students are learning and how much or how little they are improving since the lesson that I gave them after school.

1. "Finding Equations of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines." Mathshell. UC Berkley & University of Nottingham, 2012. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

In Ms. Garvey’s Algebra 1 class the students are learning about the properties/similarities/differences between the two. Their standards are approaching and it’s time for the students to start studying. Even if I can’t present the information on parallel and perpendicular lines in times for their standard quizzes, in a poll taking in class today, the majority of the students are going to sign up for retakes after the quiz. UC Berkley’s lessons on finding the equations of Parallel and Perpendicular lines are helpful for new students who aren’t proficient in finding the equations of the lines and need video/text help when I’m not there.

1. "Reteach: Slopes of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines." Holt Algebra 1, n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

My final course is the Holt Algebra 1 book. This book is full of lessons of algebra 1. This book covers all of algebra 1 from beginning to end. It’ll be helpful because I can use this book for the rest of the year unlike my other sources. This educational book provides, pictures, notes, and text examples that I can print out and hand out. I plan on getting examples periodically from the book to use to help teach the kids whatever algebra 1 topic I’m teaching. One limitation of this source is that I’m going to have to make a lot of photocopies since the whole book isn’t digital. If the teachers allow me to make copies everything should be fine.