"3 strikes And You're Out"

(Door slams shut)
(Boy walks downstairs with a baseball glove)

Where did Dad go? (pause)Again? (pause)Why?(pause) We were supposed to go to the field and throw around the baseball. I thought you said he would never leave me. We gave him another chance. You gave him another chance. I had to accept it, it was months and months and months of forgiving. I..I..I can't believe this is happening to me. I hear rap songs about them having no dad to teach them life lessons and how to be a man. Mom what did you do? It was you. What do you mean it’s not like that?(Pushes his mom). 
Oh my od what Am I doing? Are you ok? This is his fault. All the texts I sent him, . I never wanted a gift for Christmas: the only gift I wanted was his presence. Thanksgiving nothing beats having your Dad dig in the sweet pumpkin pie with you. All those Baseball games when I was at the plate where were you in the bleachers?(crying ) Mom and I got evicted, where were you at? When I got hit by a baseball at my game  where were you at to wipe my tears and tell me i did a good job? When mom and I  were dead broke and I had to take off a year from school to go get a job, where were  you at put the food on the table? (Yelling/Talking to himself). You left me in these Philly streets alone. These streets are filled with gorillas, killers, and drug dealers, who is going to protect me? My mom? She’s too fragile to shield me. I needed a dad to teach me to shave, take care of a woman, throw a football, all those but the streets are the only one that hasn't left me like my dead beat ass father. (Uncovers a gun from his mattress) No he is gonna pay for the pain I have constantly endured since I was two. Things are going to be different around here. From now on I’m praying to this gun. You don’t know any  basic things about me, What’s my favorite color? What are my favorite foods? What’s my jersey number? (Crying voice) I always looked up to you the way you hit the way no one could pitch against you. You always hit dingers out the park, I just wanted to be like you. You got me with a gun in the tub. Shutup, sag, hold your gun sideways, men don’t cry. Men don’t pout. Men don’t need their dad. Men survive. Men get it themselves. (Someone knocks on the door) Dad? Why do you have a bat? No. this? This is nothing. (suddenly pulling up his pants and scrambling with the gun) I thought you left. What is that in your hand? No way you have to be kidding me? Is this the bat you got three dingers in that one game in the Giants (swinging the bat). The hole? Oh no that’s nothing ( moving towards the hole) Fine I thought you left me for good again. Mom, oh I pushed her outta anger from you leaving I know I shouldn’t lay hands on mom. My pants they sagged because I was boutta hit the corner. This is a reflection life without you. Without your support, Without your love. The baseball is all I wanted to do.I want to be like you pops. You made me want to pick up a bat and a glove. Shortstop slugger (Swings bat again) just like you.

Assirem Hosni (Student 2020)
Assirem Hosni

creative idea! The character goes through an emotional roller coaster throughout the monologue. One thing that I learned from this character is that he wants a regular basic relationship with his father. He wishes his dad can provide him and his family with the support that they need and want.

Samera Baksh (Student 2020)
Samera Baksh

This is really good! I really like how you explained the times when the dad wasn’t there. Your monologue has a good back story. It’s well put together. Good job!!