Suits Don't Come With Respect

What do you mean am I in the wrong store? I’m here to buy a suit. This is Brooks Brothers. That is the name on your sign, is it not?
Now, I was hoping to find a Fitzgerald Fit Golden Fleece® Suit for a meeting in the up and coming week. If you don’t have it, I’ll just browse your selection. That’s great. Can I try it on? Ok...that’s understandable, I’ll look around, and see what I like.
Hey...wait...my eyes must be playing tricks on me because you just let him try on the suit that I asked to try on. Were you afraid the color of my skin is going to taint the clothing? Don’t tell me to calm down! Where’s the manager!? I’m scaring the customers? If you would have just let me try on the suit that I asked for, I wouldn’t be yelling now, would I?
Yes, I’m aware that the suit costs $2,100 and I’m fully capable of paying for it. Oh-oh, now you’re quiet. As soon as you see that a black man can pay for an expensive suit, you want to act like there were no previous discriminatory implications behind what you said earlier?
Now, you want me to try on the suit? Well, you know what? I don’t want the suit anymore and I will no longer be frequenting this establishment. I’ve had to prove myself to too many people throughout my life: prove to my mother I wouldn’t become a crack head on the streets, prove to my school that I was intelligent, prove to my graduating class that I was worthy of receiving valedictorian without “cheating”, prove to the law firm I work at...I’m tired of it. I’ll just let people believe whatever the hell they want because I know who I am and that I definitely don’t need to prove myself to you.
Would it make you sleep better at night if you knew that I was a stereotypical black thug or that I’m a successful African American man trying to better society? As soon as we start moving up or as you call it “stealing your jobs”, you want to shove us back down to the bottom of the totem pole. A black man invented the equipment to dye the soles of those expensive shoes you're wearing, a black man invented dry cleaning, which you could use right now with that wrinkly suit that looks like it came from Overstock.com, and if it weren’t for a black man inventing the traffic signal you could have been in an accident this morning.
So please, ask me again if I’m in the wrong store because this time I’ll say ‘Yes, I am.’ By the way, Tom Ford is on 845 Madison Ave, right?

Marcin Czapla (Student 2019)
Marcin Czapla

This monologue is great. There is a lot of personality in the character and Kwan was the perfect person to read it. The setting and conflict were also made very clear as stated in the other comments and I love how the monologue ends with a question.

Sarah Berg (Student 2019)
Sarah Berg

This monologue is close to perfect. The character, environment, and conflict are all clear, and come to life very well. I think the topic you chose to write about was expressed in this real life situation in a thought provoking yet entertaining way. Kwan did a great job reading/acting it as well.

Amado Alfaro-Allah (Student 2019)
Amado Alfaro-Allah

This monologue is very interesting and insightful because the way the main character is brought to life by wanting to buy a suit but can't because of stereotypes. Also the way that it can be relatable to todays standerds of sterotypes and misinformation

Mindy Saw (Student 2019)
Mindy Saw

I like the energy of this monologue. It speaks really loudly and well. You state your opinions as well as others involving in the scene. You bring this character to life by speaking your mind. You have that voice of accusation in him and it brings him to life towards the significant other you're talking to.