Switzerland: Trevor Hinton and Jasmine Gladden

​For this project we were assigned a country to follow and keep tabs on as they went about the months leading up to their elections as well as when their elections were going on. The country me and my partner were assigned was Switzerland and their elections weren't going to be held until early March so me and my partner had plenty time to gather information. I first reached out to a man named Frank Jordans who I had come in contact with after sending him a message on twitter that asked if he would be willing to help me a project I was doing about the Switzerland election system in which he agreed to do and messaged me his email address; although many times time differences effected when I actually read the emails that we were exchanging and when he got the emails he finally responded to one I had sent him regarding how the Swiss election process had changed over time and what he had noticed since he started voting in Switzerland; unfortunately I found out that he wasn't Swiss nor did he vote there but rather a correspondent for the U.N and wasn't really able to help with my questions because he hadn't been over there long enough. I then was given the contact information of a friend of Natasha's (who also attends SLA), she informed me that her friend lives over in Switzerland and she would give me her contact info so that I could directly talk to her; unfortunately with her she was 16 and had no Switzerland nationality so she could vote over there but had been living there for 7 years and told me that she noticed since coming here that they vote constantly and by constantly she means every month and different from other countries when voting they are asked yes or no questions by the government almost like a census or poll so that government can get a clearer understanding of certain things; she also mentioned that different from other countries is you see certain parties lobbying for a certain side sometimes showing advertisements that in other countries might be considered wrong or racist because of the content. Marie which was her name was really helpful in giving me a better understanding of how Switzerland elections were so different from the U.S. and did it in such descriptive and detailed emails. Below are pictures of the different conversations as well as two ad's that Marie sent me that floated around during the year prior's election showing how they could be considered racist in other countries just by the images.

special thanks to Marie Burelli and Frank Jordans who helped with my research and knowledge of the Switzerland election system.

svp2007-black-sheep-poster1
svp2007-black-sheep-poster1
minarae
minarae