TFarah Q2 History BM

Go to Luna's page, Rita's page, or watch our benchmark here!

We chose this topic because it directly affects all three of us, because we're girls who will soon be eligible to vote.  I enjoyed this project because in past years I've learned a little about it in school, but there were so many details I'd never known before that were really interesting, like how at one point the 14th amendment's passage depended on a single man named Harry Burns, who went to vote with a note in his pocket from his mother telling him to vote in favor of female suffrage.  It helped me better appreciate the struggle that the suffragists went through, and the political divide that in fact is pretty similar to the way we're divided today.  The most challenging part was deciding how to present our project, which gave us some trouble.  We went through a few ideas, like fake Facebook news feeds, and had to scrap everything and start over at one point.  I do think our final idea was good, although the whole project could probably have been improved by better acting.
I think the final touches on the project--finding and adding C-SPAN footage, adding pictures to the video, etc--went particularly well.  We were able to find some great photographs, ads and political cartoons that I think really enhanced the whole thing.  It also helped make up for the fact that on the whole, the actual footage we taped of ourselves was not great.  If we were to do it over again, I think I'd want to try filming from other angles and non-terrible acting.
I learned a lot about the 14th amendment and the long struggle to get it passed.  I also learned how great it feels to do things ahead of schedule.  I'm a natural procrastinator, as is Rita, but Luna is great at staying on top of things and she helped keep us on track.  I think having experienced the amazing feeling of not doing everything at the last minute, I'll be more likely to do it myself in the future.