The Andormeda Strain and the Science Behind It.

​In our science class we took on the concept of a 10% project. Where an individual spent 10% of their time making something that interests them. For my 10% project I read a Sci-Fi book and looked at the scientific concepts behind it. The book I read was "The Andromeda Strain" by Michael Crichton. The book was about an extraterrestrial bacteria strain later named Andromeda comes to earth and devastates a town. Luckily a program was organized for this specific incidence called "Wildfire". Scientists then work hard to figure out what this thing is and how it works before it can cause public panic or devastation. After finishing the book I made a Powerpoint looking at the scientific theories and processes in the book. One of the most notable is the process of identifying, processing, and curing an unknown illness. One of the theories that played a big role is the odd man hypothesis. Both explaining the process of doing efficient scientific research and various forms of testing and experimentation. I furthered my knowledge by exploring the realm of biological warfare and incidences. This included the bio-chemical attacks rainbow agent attacks on Vietnam and the Anthrax Scare in 2001.