"The Bluest Eye"

“Quiet as it’s kept, there were no marigolds in the fall of 1941. We thought, at the time, that it was because Pecola was having her father’s baby that the marigolds did not grow.”  Who’s Pecola? How did she end up pregnant by her father? What the heck do Marigolds growing have to do with any of this? If you're anything like me the start of this book made questions began to pop up in your head. The first sentence succeed in catching my eye. Did it catch yours? This quote is from the book “The Bluest Eye” Toni Morrison. A novel full of lust, love, racism, drama, and american comedy written in the time of the 1940’s.

“The Bluest Eye” is categorized as a fictional novel. The author Toni Morrison, talks about a year in a black girl named Pecola Breedlove life. Pecola is facing the reality of  becoming a pre-teen/teenager. The struggle and shame of her family and how she looks. The story takes place in Lorain, Ohio Fall of 1941-summer of 1942.  It was published in 1970 as Toni Morrison's first novel. This is a very informal written book. Its written in third person, and told mostly by Pecola and Claudia. The smaller characters have some isolated dialogue about their lives as well.

Toni Morrison was born in Lorain, Ohio. Just so happens to be that thats where the inspiration of the setting came for the book. Some of her favorite authors as a child include Jane Austen and Leo Tolstoy. She studied at Howard University, receiving her B.A in english. Then went on to her Cornell University to earn her “Masters of Arts Degree” in English. Morrison has done many things before she published her first novel (in 1970). She taught at Yale University and Bard College. Worked as an editor for New York City headquarters of Random house. Random House is the largest general-interest trade book publisher in the world.

Along with “The Bluest Eye” Toni Morrison has written “Song of Solomon” and “Beloved.” Song of Solomon won the “National Book Critics Circle Award” in 1977. It was the first book written by a black person to win since 1940. Her book “Beloved” caused 48 black critics and writers to protest the fact that the book did not win the “National Book Award” and or “National Book Critics Circle Award.” the protesting worked and shortly after the book won “Pulitzer Prize for Fiction” and the “American Book Award”

Themes found within this book include racism. Using whiteness as the standard of  beauty. Insest, sexual abuse from Pecolas father and many others. Throughout the book there are many important symbols. References to the bluest eye as symbolizing beauty. Marigolds in comparison to pregnancy. This book is a great read for all ages over fifthteen. It is one of those books you don’t put down, just keep reading and reading. The main tone of the characters include lyrical, and slang from the 1940’s. I strongly recommend this book to all willing to read. this book gives you a different insight on life. Many people can relate to the conflicts that come along as you read. Such as rape/ molestation, school life and struggle with parents, struggle as parents. Morrisons beginning reason for writing the bluest eye was due to the “Black is Beautiful Movement” tried to reclaim African-American Beauty. Some factors of the family dynamic for Claudia came for Toni’s own life experience with her parents.

Toni Morrison is a smart and intelligent writer. Although the bluest eye was not an immediate success its a book that all 14 and up, boy and girl should read. Its a book you won't want to put down. the interest and rise of the story stays constant throughout the entire reading. After reading this book it will give you a different more appreciative outlook on life, yours and the world around you. It makes you think deeper about race, sexuality, social and economical class.