The Divorce

(Sitting at the dinner table)

Guess what happen to me the today? No, I did not get a girlfriend dad, but I’m one step away from getting one. Mary Beth waved at me today. What do you mean that doesn’t mean anything? Mary Beth is the hottest girl in school and she acknowledge my existence and waving obviously means that she likes me. Oh, so waving doesn’t mean she likes me in that way, she just probably likes me as a friend. Okay, I guess that I might have misread the situation. Talking about meeting people, I was wondering how you and mom met.  

No mom did not put me up to this. I just thought that if you remember the good times you and Mom had that you guys will stop fighting. Yes, I know that you guys fight. You do not do a great job at hiding it. Every night I hear you guys fighting and I stay up frightened, thinking that you guys are going to get divorced, but I know that is just a crazy thought. (PAUSE) Right. Wait, no…. don’t tell me. You guys are planning to get a divorce. When were you guys planning to tell me? When the time was right, so you were going to take me to the movies or an amusement park or something dumb like that and tell me then. You should have been honest with me from the beginning.

You don’t love her! But she is my Mom, you know the person you have been married to, for the past 20 years. I heard that marriages goes through rough patches. Maybe this is just your marriage’s  rough patch and eventually you will rekindle your love. So you’re not going to even try? Those 20 years of watching me grow up. Watching our family form is just nothing to you? Do not let this marriage fail, I will not let this marriage fail. If you’re not going to do it for her, then do it for me. You’re only son, the person you changed their diapers, the person who you taught how to catch a ball, the person who you bought them their first car.

Mom’s asking for the one asking for the divorce? Why is she the one asking for the divorce? You cheated on Mom! How could you do that to her? You have a single handedly teared a who family apart just for a piece of side action. I looked up to you Dad, I thought you were the best person in the world, not capable of hurting no one. I was obviously wrong about you. You are now nothing to me, except for the peice of shit who left my mom for a whore. NO, I will continuing using this tone with you and you’re going to listen.

(What the actor sees: The Dad begins walking to the door)

Now you’re leaving because you are not man enough to face your problems. If you walk out that door, Dad you will lose me forever. *Door Slams* He actually left, what does this mean for my family? I didn’t mean some of things I said, I was just angry at him. He left us though, he had the nerve to leave us. There’s is no going back now I guess. I lost my Dad, the person who is suppose to be there for me. I should not have push it so far.(Curtain Drops and Lights turn off)

Rec-2015-11-25-From-01-37-09-To-01-40-04

Nicholas Shaw (Student 2018)
Nicholas Shaw

I don't relate to the character that much, but I do understand the emotions he's going through. A moment that stuck out to me was when he first found out about the divorce, when he asked his parents if they were getting divorced, and asked if he was just going to bring him to an amusement park and tell him.

Jhazzelle Majarucon (Student 2018)
Jhazzelle Majarucon

I definitely did not expect that the story was gonna end up being sad because you started it with an exciting tone and started talking to your dad in a happy and interested way and afterwards your emotions changed. I feel like I connected with the character in a way that the character regretted what he said to his dad, but I relate to this character because sometimes, I regret the things I say or do and end up saying to myself that I shouldn't have done that. The transitions in the conversation were very smooth and easy to understand. This piece is well written and well organized!

Syeda Kalim (Student 2018)
Syeda Kalim

I actually thought this was going to be funny monologue in the beginning, but I like the twist. I don't connect with the reader because I haven't ever gone through something like this. I like the last sentence of this, it shows regret and sadness.

Cindy Chen (Student 2018)
Cindy Chen

I don't connect with the person because I haven't experience something like this. Though, I like the part in the monologue when the kid lost his father and just show how real a conversation can go and the consequences it can lead too. Good Job!

Israh Mohammed (Student 2018)
Israh Mohammed

Wow. I did not expect the story to take the turn it did. It was written very well! I like how it just started off as a casual conversation with a kid and his dad and then went on to a divorce and the dad leaving. I could feel the anger and the sadness coming from the boy and how disappointed he was with his dad.