The Format Matters

Random Acts of Senseless Violence By Jack Womack is written in first person perspective and in a diary format. This technique gives the story a deeper meaning into it.  Since it is written in first person it's easier to follow and understand the story. The story is also written in diary format making the story more personal . Which makes the reader want to finish reading it. This leads into the reader feeling more connected to the main character because since it is in first person the reader can connect to it in a deeper level. Reason being the reader might of had the same experience as the main character making them feel more attached to them. All of this affects the book overall because it changes the perspective of how the reader should interpret the book. The format of writing in a diary is typically used to to describe how someone feels about their day. A famous example for this type of writing is the book of Anne frank where she talks about the Natzi and stuff. That book did a great job getting the readers attention and setting the mood of the story. Even though most of the readers never experience what she did the author was able to use the emotion fear to connect the reader the the main character. By this I mean that since not everyone experiences the same thing, the author tries to connect the reader to the story by using an emotion everyone has experienced before like fear. I say fear because everyone when they were younger had fear towards something either it being the dark or monsters.

on page 85 The main character name is Lola. Lola is at her friends katherine house. They are talking about how their school day went and stuff. Then they start looking at magazines about clothing. After that they start  talking about what's the worst thing that have ever done in their life. Later on Lola wrote in her diary “We kissed longer and it was nice but that was all. She smiled. How was that? I asked.” This quote connects to the thesis because it engages the reader's emotion. The author uses emotion as a way from him to connect the reader to the book. By using emotion the author makes it easier for the reader to feel more attach to the book. Imagine the author just describe something that you never done before you wouldn't really be able to connect to it. Thats why the author uses emotion when describing something so that the reader has something to connect to. Therefor making the reader want to continue reading to see what will happen next. Also the perspective on how the author wrote it makes it more engaging since is written in first person the reader can connect and focus on the main character instead catching feeling for multiple characters. If it was written in third perspective it would be harder for the reader to make feel linked to the story. Another thing is the format is written in is written in diary form it makes easier for the reader to see what the character is trying to express.

In the book, Random Act of senseless Violence The main character is walking with her group of friends. Lola is walking with Izzy , Jude , and Weezy. They are just coming from the subway going back home. Thats when Weezy starts arguing with Jude about why Lola is in the group. Later on that evening Lola writes in her diary “ Before I knew what was happening she kicked up her foot and knocked the knife out of weez hand. It fell on the sidewalk and the blade broke.” The way the author decided to write this was interesting. The author wrote this quote almost as if it was meant to be a cliffhanger. Giving the reader a different perspective on the book how it slowly changing form a nice cheesy diary to a harcorde vilence experience diary. Thats whats unique about writing in diary format because you don't have to stick to a theme. Since you're writing what you are experiencing in your life which changes each day making the book more interesting. Also they gives the reader options on how they should interpret the book unlike other books that just stick to one theme. ANother thing that the author did is  a good job describing what the main character was seeing. Or if the author said “she saw betty kick up her foot” theres nothing really you can connect to the main character because you can't really put yourself in the main character shoes. When written in first perspective you can put yourself in the main character shoes because it uses “I” so you can imagine actually see yourself as the main character.

In the interview with Jack Womack, the interviewer asked when he started writing the story. Then the question of why he decided to write the story the way he did came up. Jack Womack replied with “I wrote it like it was a diary. Every day would just be a new day. I’d advance the plot like that.” So Jack Womack or should I say the author of the book Random Acts of senseless violence. He decided to write in a diary format so he could have different plots each day. Which made the book more interesting overall because different things occurred also there were different conflicts and solutions.  He also states that every day was a new day making the story easier to follow because everyday theres a new problem the main character faces that she has to overcome. Using this technique makes the reading want to finish the book because with everyday theres something different that happens.  The structure for this book is really key to why a reader would want to read it. Imagine if the author was to tell the story using a different structure it would change how the reader interprets it. If it was written in another perspective it would of made the reader experience worse because they would be confused on what character.They need to focus on and what emotions they should  be feeling. Since is written in first person and also written in a diary format it gives the reader a way to connect to it on realistic level instead of connecting to it just knowing is a fictional story. When its written in diary format the author can connect the reader to it knowing that people in real world write in their diaries every day making it easier  for the reader to connect to the story. Its not just making the character connecting to the story or feeling attach to it. The plot of this story is what really This gives the reader the impression that the book structure ties in really well with the story itself making it unique from other book structure.

Corinthia Bell (Student 2017)
Corinthia Bell
  1. Something I learned of this essay was that when a written piece is a first person perspective it gives the reader an easy understandment of the story.

2. Something I wanna steal from you is how you narrowed down the instincts of the author's writing.