The Last Pick

Okay,okay everyone places,places! We have five minutes! And we cannot afford any mistakes. I am talking to you apple. You think I would forget about what happened the  last time. I cannot have other fruits mixing, it just makes you look out of place or you’ll just end up blocking some other thing that our clients will be looking for. Yeah, so why don’t you stop looking at your reflection thinking that your small self is all that. Hey! don’t you give me no lip! roll over to your little apple buddies and stop actin so grown! I swear as soon as they get a name like red delicious, their eyes magically become glued to their reflection. I mean come on! Am I the only one that cares about how we look!

Yeah, I know that I can be tough sometimes, but as leader and coordinator of The Food Organization of the Refrigerator, or TFOR for short, I have the responsibility to make these ungrateful pieces of food look appealing in this refrigerator after someone comes home after having a long day. It’s like an art really in it’s own way. I have to consider things like how the apples look against the bread. Who needs to be moved? Are the apples taking up too much space? Should I move them so that the bread is not hidden, and replace it with something else, or should they just be rearranged? It can be so stressful. Especially when the other foods are being so difficult.

Hey, don’t think I can’t see you Lettuce! How many times do I have to tell you that you need to be right next to me. All vegetables need to stay in the center. It’s where the light will capture our good side. It will make us look more appealing. I mean I am just saying that veggies are the best. Especially, (puffs up chest) me. Broccoli. I mean I am  healthy for the body. I am low on fat and I don’t know about you but I taste pretty damn good. If you know what I mean.So naturally I think that the best of the best should be in the center.

You got something to say pear? I know you not running your mouth up on that top shelf. When was that last time you were picked from this refrigerator because I know that frost didn't appear overnight. Yeah that’s right, now everyone please go to your designated areas, come on we need to be ready before-

(refrigerator opens)

Quick! Look Sharp. I look up and see that it’s little Tommy who is our first client of the day. This is perfect. This boy can eat anything that’s within his sweaty little pudgy grasps. Obviously, I am going to be the first choice because-

What did he just say?!?! I know that he did not say those five nasty words: There is nothing to eat . Pause. Because we clearly have to capture this moment here. Are you joking? (Gets louder ) Tommy your mom must’ve forgotten to take you to get your eyes checked because if they were working correctly you would see that your whole refrigerator is filled with nothing but food. You have lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and bread to make a sandwich. Yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, the leftover pizza from last night. You even have a pear, as frosty as he is, to eat! But, how could you forget. About. Me. Broccoli.

Hear Tommy’s mom come down stairs. She walks in the kitchen to see the what’s wrong. Then he dares to repeat those five words again, and I cringe. I swear if she doesn't get that little boy outta my face, I am going to lose it! She looks into the fridge and I slowly see the look of confusion come on her face. As she turns to her son, I eagerly await the scolding that she is about to give him. (Frowns)Unfortunately, it doesn't come. Instead she starts to list all off all of the foods that are in the fridge. I patiently wait for her to acknowledge my presence. I guess you gotta save the best for last. When she finally gets to me, I watch in absolute horror as I see Tommy’s bored expression transform into a look of pure hatred and disgust.

That’s not even the worst part. He says Broccoli? Ewww, that’s gross!¨. In that moment, I could barely breathe. I stare numbly as I hear his father come and I see that Tommy won’t have to worry about looking for something to eat. Tommy rushes to his father in excitement when he sees what he is carrying. Takeout. His mother slowly closes the door with a final click. (Slouches) I try to salvage what was left of my dignity, but it only seems to crumble between my fingers when I hear my companions burst into laughter. I try not let it get to me (sniffs) but I can’t help but feel that I've become the last pick.