The Pipeline Monologue Project

The project is about Keystone Pipeline company are trying to build pipeline, so people can start using the fossil fuel as a new technology. Keystone Pipeline will start from Canada to the middle coast of United States, straight down to Texas. There are a lot of consequences between the people living the middle coast and the company. However, the senators, presidents are debating whether to build it or not. They said, it will create more jobs and making the economy grow. Over the past few weeks, I researched all these information about the cons and pros. The purpose of this project is to write three monologues from different points of prospective. I also learned all these new information how it affects us today and the future. People are fighting for their lives to end the Keystone pipeline and willing to take a stand.

Monologue 1: Hungry for money.

( Mr. Adam is at Houston Texas in the forest building the pipelines with his constructors. He has a shovel and special tools around his waist, working his way down south to build the pipeline).

(Talking to his friend)

I can’t believe this! Am I living right now? It’s been a long day. Pipeline here we go. Special benefits for the nation to have a better economy. I am thrilled of having this job, Matthew. How to put this in words. I need to money for my future and my family. I have a wife that live with me. We’re living in a small place where we can’t barely pay off....

(Low voice)

Yeah, we’re poor. Matthew, having this job is an opportunity of getting a 2nd chance. Life is tough out there, not a lot of jobs out there. Pipeline offer thousands of jobs for people like us to get money! You know. I’m digging it.  

(Looks over at Matt, disappointing)

What’s wrong? (Making a grin face) Brighten your face a bit! You’re totally wrong with that. You said it will destroy our economy? What the hell, the keystone have so many benefits for everyone. I believe we made an awesome decisions to build out future technology. For one thing, the tar sand will sure give us gas since we are in a low economy. Look the economy rise when gas cost $4 per gallon! (Expression more happy). Ain’t that awesome for everyone! Yay! Look on the bright side, we will get cheaper gas when pipelines are there! My poppa, my mama, my sis and my bro need everything cheap. I mean cheap stuff that we can afford!

(Shoveling while listening to Matt)

Did I just hear about the great plains should be kept? Haha, you’re funny. Ain’t nobody cares about mother nature. I don’t care. Like c’mon, carbon will go up in the air, no matter how we change it or not. The atmosphere will be ka’boom. The end.

(Happy voice)

We need our industry to boost up for god sake! People care about the economics where the stocks can be cheap and proficient. Pipeline will be guarantee that we will watch it 24/7. If there are any damages, evacuation will be there immediately fixing it. Wahh lah. Brand new! I’m giving my best shots on having this industry. You feel me?

(Look at Matthew talking and gets irritated)

Why the serious face Matthew? Oh, you said you don’t like the KeyStone, then are you working for them? You should just leave! (Loud and mad). I don’t know why you are against it.  As long as I my money, I’m fine. You can’t lie about that. Our nation don’t have to depend on other countries because it will make our nation more secure, by providing new job opportunities!

(Pause and listen to his friend).

No, I don’t give a crap about the middle coast. They can survive with the pipeline in the middle of nowhere! Trust me! They have legs and arms to travel and move somewhere else. If they protest, they can go to prison. Simple as that. (Pause and listen to his friend again. Then gets really mad) Don’t ever talk about bad things about Keystone Pipeline! Just give me the damn nails so I can finish my work.  

(Looking at the sky).
God bless us.

Monologue 2: Discover research plans.
(In the science lab collecting data with all these chemicals surrounding him).  

(Yelling)

Come over here Pablo! Bad news. You need to come here very quick. Hurry. I found something interesting with the data. (softer voice and talking excitedly) Okay, the percentage dramatically change for the past years, even decades! No no no.

(Voice became  even more dramatic)

The world’s energy had gone from 27% and the C02 rose to 27.5% for the last decade! When the tar sand is finish, we will be doomed. Organisms will die. Glaciers will melt. Water will rise. Extinction. End of the world. Anyways, what information did you find?

(Looking at him. Impatient to talk to his friend).

You’re right! The H20 supplies will be short. The water sources in the middle coast will be destroy because the process of the tar sands will use the H20. H20 is very important! I can’t let this happen. The tar sands contain clay, bituminous and sands. The process of cleaning H20 will take forever to purify water because particles in the tar is a lot dirtier. 400 million gallons of water per day are going to be wasted! Hundreds of families or more can use it for other useful stuff. It sucks because I will not get clean H20 for my system. This will affect so many people!

(Getting frustrated)

There has to be a stop. Somehow and fast! Like, we can start a broadcast or an announcement for people to help the environment!

(Being disappointing)
Mother nature will be in danger when the plant kingdom will die slowly. Organisms will have less oxygen to breathe, and more C02 will be increasing. The cycle will die off if oxygen will be less because C02 will be trap in the atmosphere!  I don’t like this at all! Since so many humans overpopulate and other living organisms living in the world, we will have trouble getting oxygen. Also, organisms will have to travel and find new homes, while humans are destroying the land just for future technology. We’re doomed!

(A long pause looking at the reports. Then being all excited).
We’re scientists! We have our hopes to fix the problem! We have all these informations to prove our points! We will persuade the government and the president about the cons for our safety. We can’t just sit here and let the pipelines destroy the economy! (Raise the first into the air). All for one and one for all! Now let’s get over to the room for our meeting about this problem. Hurry!
Monologue #3: A voice to be heard!

(In Glasgow Montana at the middle of street in Tocar Avenue with group of people protesting and news reporter are recording).

STOP THE PIPELINE!  STOP THE PIPELINE! We want to end this right now!

(A woman that is even louder).

We want a better future for our families and other people. Fight for your beliefs everyone! There has to be an end to the disaster of tar sand. Trees are falling down every seconds, where tar sand is destroying our land! Our desires is to have a better environment.

(Using the megaphone, clearing the throat by coughing).

Attention everyone! I have a confession to make. You know why we are here today. (People are rowdy). Calm down everyone, we are here as a whole. Not pieces of jigsaw puzzle fighting alone.

(Pain in her voice).

I want to say that I have 2 younger children. I don’t want them to suffer the pain of smelling the disgusting air. Having my kids drinking the nasty water are poisonous! Does anyone want their children to drink that water so they will get sick and die? NO!! Water supplies are already low and we shouldn’t destroy it even more. They said the tar sand oil is a lot cheaper. (Intense) Bull crap! The industry will increase such as water. No one will survive in this severe problem and we can’t lose our future!  

(Points out at the forest ahead of her)

You see this? We need it. Each one of them are put down because of us. What happens if they are all gone? We’re doomed. Yeah, Jobs. They have one weapon—money. They’ve used it to buy the allegiance of many Representatives and Senators and now they’ll use Congress to try and get their dirty work done. That’s not how things work.

I am living here, while I can see the pipelines behind my back yard? I don’t want to wake up in the middle of night when pipelines are pumping every seconds. Hahaha, it’s funny right? I don’t think so. How bad can it get? A Lot. I mean pipelines is the stupid thing that is invented in our history. Like, do we have an agreement with our society? America can do better than this!

(Stronger voice).

I’m willing to take a stand for my people. I don’t care if i get arrested because I didn’t commit a crime. (moment of silence for couple of seconds). Whoever is out there, please help us. We need each of everyone to stand up because it’s our social economy. Together, we will destroy the KeyStone Pipeline, and we will fight till the end!

I may be dumb but, I know my facts. ( Puts the megaphone down and walk away).
Here is the video of my one monologue. Click here.

Appendix
- Co2 from tar sand will produce a lot that travels in the atmosphere causing a disaster.
- Many people are willing to fight against pipeline in the middle coast of United States.
- Occupations are important to many people than saving the forests.
-  The economy are trying to build the pipeline currently and giving a better future.
- Families who live near the pipeline are devastated about the tar sand.
-  Pipeline will cause the water supplies and it will waste over 400 million gallons of water each day.
Bibliography:
"Keystone XL Pipeline." Keystone XL. N.p., 22 Mar. 2012. Web. 15 Oct. 2012. <http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/k/keystone_pipeline/index.html?8qa>.

"Tar Sands Blockade." » Taking Non-violent Direct Action to Stop the Keystone XL Pipeline. N.p., 12 Oct. 2012. Web. 15 Oct. 2012. <http://tarsandsblockade.org/>.

"Occupy & 350.org Crash Boehner's Office over Backroom Attempt to Revive Keystone XL." Tar Sands Action. N.p., 20 Jan. 2012. Web. 15 Oct. 2012. <http://www.tarsandsaction.org/>.

"The Undead Pipeline Returns." YES! Magazine. N.p., 29 Feb. 2012. Web. 15 Oct. 2012. <http://www.yesmagazine.org/blogs/madeline-ostrander/the-undead-pipeline>.

"Keystone XL Pipeline Project." Keystone XL Pipeline Project. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2012. <http://www.transcanada.com/keystone.html>.