The Rising By: Keiasha Lumpkins

(Characters)
Marcela: Main character, who lives in Rio De Janeiro and wants to be a singer in America
Maria: Marcela’s mother
Matheus: Marcela’s anoying little brother
Apartment man: Neighbor in the families new apartment
Lena: Maria’s friend

(Background): A young girl name Marcela. She is lives in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, with her mother Maria-Antonia, her little sister, Margareth, and her little brother, Matheus, who is named after their father. She lived in Rio De Janeiro all her life. She is of Brazilian and African-American Decent. She considered Afro- Brazilian. Living in Rio De Janeiro and not having a lot, her mother struggles to make a better life for her three children. It is really Dangerous in Rio De Janeiro. Many shootings and drug trades happened especially where Marcela lives. She live in the Favelas (Slums) Marcela has a gift. She has a wonderful voice, but her mother doesn’t approve of her wanting to be a singer. Marcela belives if she gets to be a singer, her mother and her siblings will have a better life. They move to America, where Marcela tries out for this Competition called “Got What it takes?” But before they get there, they have to get throught living in Rio De Jeneiro. She ends up winning the Contest, and her family lives changed for the better.

Act 1: Scene 1

As I heard yelling from my cracked opened door, I peeked out of it and seen her, the silence in our room, only thing i could hear is her asking for a “few more days”. I was only 6,  and I knew something wasn’t right. Only time when she asked for “a few more days” is the man came with his clipboard, his black pen, and his pliers. Will he really do it this time? That thought always came through my head when he came. I always was afraid of it happening every time. As I heard her plead, and scream and yell “please I have three kids, they can’t sleep with out light, we won’t be able to see anything. Please for my kids!” I could hear how she felt in her voice. Her tears falling down her face, with my tears following right after. The only thing he could say was, “I’m only doing my job.” I heard that about a million times. I knew my little brother and sister wanted to see what was going on. The three of us looked out the door, aware that something was wrong. The only thing we can do is sit there and watch him walking towards the door, she constantly held on to him and tried to take his pliers out his hand. I knew that this time, was for real. He was going to do it. He walked out the door as my mom yells through it. “Please!................Please!.” I can see her crying, on her knees praying to God, as my little brother and sister, and I watched her in the darkness of the room. That was 2 years ago.

Act 1: Scene 2

Its so early in the morning. I hate getting up and cleaning the house.(Marcela puts on her one pair of shoes) But I do this for mama, she gets up so early for work, she really doesn’t have time to clean, or cook anything, So i make sure mama work is done, But let me go make sure she is ok. I know that she is really tired. I’m glad that they gave her a day off because she has been working non stop. I am surprise she got a day off today. This waking up 3 hours earlier than I usually do for school is too much. Why do my school have to be 1 hour away from my house? And on top of that I have to walk there! Well its safer than catching a cab, train, or bus. I wouldn’t want to get car jacked, blown up on the train, or a stick up on the bus by some dumb idiot. Let me go cook for my little Margereth and Matheus. I am sure my mama is going to want something on her stomach, haven’t seen her eat that much lately either. (After Marcela clothes is on, and book bag is set, she walks in the kitchen and makes some oatmeal, that usually last the whole day) Finally done. Well I am going to go check on Margereth, and Matheus, and Mama, just to make sure they are sound asleep. (Peaks through three rooms) Time for me to leave. Let me hurry so no one will see me walking outside, and try to attack me like they almost tried last week. (She exits while throwing her book bag over her shoulders).

Act 1: Scene 3

(Marcela mother, Maria, is at work, and is talking to her friend (Lena) that works at her Job with her. She works at a factory making and sewing clothes. They are on their 6 minute lunch break and her mother is talking to Lena about what she should do about her living style because she can’t keep on living like this).

(Maria and Lena talk and walk while walking to the table to eat their lunch) Ah Lena i don’t know what to do anymore. (pulls out her bowl of oatmeal the same one that Marcela made that morning). Don’t tell Marcela this, but everyday I look at her face, and I see how she feels. I know she wants to cry inside, but she has to stay strong for Mathues, and Margereth. I don’t want none of my children growing up, and then having kids, and living in the same condition as we are living now. I hate seeing my little girl with her head down, looking like this is her fault. I know she feels like that. I hate seeing all my children like that. I remember when I told their dad that i was pregnant with Margereth. I shouldn’t have told him that, or atleast I should have pretended like I didn’t know I was pregnant. Don’t get me wrong I love my ilttle “menina”. Her curious but is always getting into something. But i knew there dad,  He just couldn’t keep having kids. He said it was too much to take care of three kids. He had a plan for Mathues and Marcela and I. But when Margereth came along he said that he just couldn’t keep putting what he wanted to do on hold everytime a “New Trouble” comes along. Then he left right after she was born. (She takes a scoop of oatmeal and looks at it) You know, Marcela made this oatmeal. She makes it every morning for Matheus, and Margereth. Well at least I think she does. I know she has to get up about 3 hours early every morning. She is a little “mim”. (Starts to tear up) I can’t let her be that though. I want her to be a better me. I know that Marcela has a gift, I just hope that it is a gift that is worth it and wont give her no down falls. “Deus me ajude” (Lena pats Maria back and tells her encouraging words) I have to stay strong for my “criancas”. Where we are living, is not a good place for them. What will I for school when the younger two can go to school, what will I do when Marcela wants to go to “college”. I don’t know, but what ever the answer is, i pray to Dues that it will come fast. (Bell Rings for lunch time over).

Act 1: Scene 4

(Marcela is at school, and she is sitting in class. They had to write about themselves and what they wanted to do in their life, but forgets all about it because she had to cook for her little brother and sister. Her teacher tells her to stands up and do it earlier. Marcela goes to one of the good schools, in the richer, and better places in Rio De Jeneiro.  She doesn’t have alot of things like the other kids, she tends to get picked on. In this scene you will see Marcela talking about what she wants to do, and see how the kids react to it).

(Kids walk in the class room and sits down with there written papers on there desk)
I do not have my paper. (stands up with her head down) I don’t have my paper. (Kids laugh) I forgot all about it. I had alot of other things to do. (Teacher tells Marcela to do her recite it orally). Hi, my name is Marcela Scott. My last name comes from my dad who is black. He is from America. He left my mother and my little siblings after my sister was born. My mother works at a factory, and I have a little brother and sister, Margareth and Matheus. I live on the other side of Rio De Jeneiro. I walk to school everyday. I share a room with my little brother and sister. Our home is really small. My mother never has time to cook, clean, or even get us dress so I do all of those things. I get up early every morning. About 3 hours than I usually do (the kids and teacher yawns). When I get older, I want to be a famous singer (the kids and teacher chuckle) a-and see all the wonderful things the world has. I want people to sing my songs. I have so many American magazines, books, and on the radio I here them sing. When I was little before my dad left us, he said that he wants to go back to America. He told me that America has a place called “Hollywood”. (she moves away from her desk and walks to the front) Some where, people go to get there dreams crushed or made. Soon I want to go to “Hollywood”. It sounds so wonderful. I am sure it is paradise. America, America, come take me with you. I want make myself proud, especially my mama. Sometimes i don’t think that she wants me to be a singer. I heard her one day saying that “these “singers” go to the top and they just fall like that” but i am not going to fall at all. I am going to the top. I will get to America soon. (Pauses and look around) Thats is my life, and what I want to do when I get older. (Goes to her seat, and the kids laugh and make smart comments). I’m so glad today is friday.

Act 1: Scene 5

Marcele little sister ask Marcele to do her hair, and comb it. They are sitting in their room and Margareth is talking to Marcela.

(Margareth walks in the room and ask Marcela to comb her hair like she always do) Cela can you comb my hair please? (Marcela looks at her) Please Cela? Yay! Cela I like when you comb my hair. Its like when I was a baby I remember you would rub my hair when I was little and would hum some song. Can you hum that song Cela? (Marcela starts to hum a song). Yea that song. That song made me fall asleep all the time. OUCH! Cela that hurt. (Margereth rubs her head) Marcela when I get older I want to live in America. I heard you reading something about America. It was like a wonderland. When I live in America I want to sing and hum like you Cela. (Margereth starts to yawn) Then I could meet ummm Barney. I seen him on t... (Margereth falls alseep and Marcela takes her to bed)

Marcela just came home after a horrible day at school. She always being talked about from the kids at the school. Especially Lina, who is one of the prettiest, meanest girls in the school. She always talks about Marcela.

(Marcela runs in her room on the bed, crying) “ Why do they tease me? They have no idea what the hell I go through, or come from. Why me? Its not fair. I’m not the same as all the other kids. They all have everything. There hair is done a certain way, all their shoes are different everyday! (she sniffs and wipes her eyes) Then there’s me. The girl who hair has the same style, the same shoes, and the same backpack. All them kids got to be rich or something. But why they have all the riches, and things they want. They aren’t nice at all. And Lina. She is so beautiful, she has to be rich, or have a lot of money. I have no room to compete with that. She was right, I am nothing but a girl who has nothing but a pretty face. (She kicks off her shoes)

Act 1: Sence 6

Matheus run in the kitchen from Marcela. He broke her necklace. He wasn’t suppose to be in he room. He runs into the kitchen from her room and falls on all these papers.

Leave my alone Cela! Mami! Mami! Cela tryna hit me! (Matheus falls into papers) What are these? Words? I seen these shapes before. I think they are called music notes. (Matheus starts to hum the words) I like this song. It sounds like I heard it before. Where have I heard this?

Act 1: Scene 7

Marcela is walking down in the market area of the Rio De Jeniro. She is humming the same song. This time she is humming it a little louder. She sees these shoes that she always wanted. She know that she can’t afford them but admires them from out the glass.

Those shoes. I wish I could have them. (She pushes her face toward the glass) If only I could get them shoes. No one would tease me and people would think that I am rich. Especially when I go to school the kids will not tease me or nothing. If people just knew how my life was, they would understand and leave me alone. (she moves away from the glass window and looks at her shoes) When I go to America I am going to have them shoes because I am going to be a singer, and everyone will know me in America and here in Rio De Janeiro. This dangerous place where people are always going to get hurt. Nothing good comes out of this place but guns a violence. I at least want to be someone that comes from this bad place where people from here cab be proud and love where they come from. (starts to hum and walk down the street) My mom never wants me to sing. I know that she doesn’t but I believe that it will pay off. She seen all those singers that made it on TV and everyone loves them. She must think people wont like me. Everyone isn’t going to like you but you have to accept that. I think I am going to tell her that that’s what I want to do. (walks off , eventually off the stage)

Act 1: Scene 8

Marcela mom Job is moving from her home. She works at a factory that makes chips. She really likes to desing clothes. In Rio De Jinero, she made alot of her old friends, and family clothes. She doesn’t know what to do now. She is praying to God now after she got home from work.

Ohkay God, what did I do. Sometimes i do not know what to do. It gets harder and harder.  I do not no what to do. I have no work, no money, and maybe no home. My kids need some clothes, food, and shoes. I do the right thing, yes I do God. I know how hard this is for me, but what about Marecela, she is 15, and seen more tears then anyone. And my younger kids, my two babies, I do not want them to keep growing up and seeing this. I think the best thing to do is to move kac to Rio De Janeiro God. It may not be the best, but anyone can get work down there God. Just show me the way, the right way, because to me, Rio De Jeneiro is the way. How can my job move to America? Whats good up there?....(she pauses for a minute sniffs, and looks up) Amen.

Act 1: Scene 9

Marcela is packing her stuff up because he mom Job is moving to America. She is sad but is happy at the same time because she always wanted to go to America. Now she can shine and sing.

(Light on Marcela as she starts humming the same song just a little louder for the whole scene for 45 seconds) Light goes dim

Act 1: Scene 10

Marcela is walking to her new building where she lives at in America and starts actually singing the song she always used to hum in Rio De Janerio. When a man hears her singing in the stair way.

(Marcela is walking up the steps and singing her song, and the man hears her) You have a beautiful voice Ms. You should try out for this talent show. You win 10,000 and get a chance to get on TV and perform in a bunch of crowds. Do you understand what I am saying? (Marcela nods her head and the man gives her this card) You must go to this place right here. They will give you a number and you have to wait until your turn. It is going to be broadcast all on Tv. Everyone is going to be watching in America. Please make sure your mom signs this paper. You have a beautiful voice and I think people will enjoy your singin. (The man leaves)

Act 1: Scene 11:

Marcela tells her mom about the singing contest but her mom will not approve.

No! You will not sing. What will singing get you? No where! I came hear to work and that is it! No one makes it as this “Singer” you are here to go to school get your education. If I hear of this singing situation again that will be it. You can not go to this thing. Now please help me with the bags. I have to do a lot and get up in the morning for work and you have to take your little brother and sisters to school. Go get washed and go to bed. Throw this paper in the trash. (Marcela waits for her mom to leave to sign the paper on her own)

Act 12: Scene 12

The next day Marcela mom finds the note that Marcela wrote to her in the morning about her going to the singing concert.

(Marcela mom looks at the note and reads it) Mami I am sorry. You have to know that this is what I want to do. Please don’t be mad. I am going to be a singer and everyone in America is going to love me. You must know that I want you to be here to see me. I wrote the Address on the bottom on this paper. They are going to help me become famous. I love you mom.

Act 13: Scene 13

(Marcela mom goes to the singing concert and watches Marcela sing. While Marcela wears the shoes she saw that she always wanted.)