The Vision That Brought Change

The Vision Of Change- By Charles Norman

Charles Norman

Monologue Project

A man in a jail cell looking out the window thinking to himself.
            I’m sitting here in my cell and I’m thinking; how did I end up in here? I mean is this what people get for fighting against cruelty to humans. I was fighting for rights for all south Africans, “Equal Rights”. I felt relieved that people were actually by my side, and they were fighting with me, blacks and whites. We were people fighting for each other’s rights. If we people don’t fight for our rights then who will? I sit here and I feel confused everyday that I am in this jail cell. I don’t deserve this. I was doing the right thing, or was I? I mean are we supposed to do the wrong thing in this cruel world? Maybe it’s the opposite right is wrong and wrong is right. Either way I will keep faith, and I shall continue to fight for our rights, until things change. One day all South Africans will have “Equal Rights”. We must keep this fight going.

A girl laying down on her bed writing in her diary under her cover with a flash light.
            Dear Diary,
Its been a long time since I last talked to you, today I am writing to you today to inform you about my idol Nelson Mandela. He is in jail, and I wonder when is he is going to get out of jail. When he does could this mean that South Africans all over will be treated equally. I love that Nelson Mandela stands up for everyone in our country. His vision is a vision that can not be ignored. I’m only 9 years old, but I can get some adults involved, and we can start protest, just thinking about this makes me happy. I can make big signs, and we will stand outside of the jail, chanting let him free let him free. We will make sure that Nelson Mandela is set free out of jail. Thank You Diary You Gave Me Some Great Ideas, I will be back later I have to go talk mom and dad, so we can get started! See you.  
                                                                                                            Sincerely,
                                                                                                                        Jackie Wells

A girl talking to her parents, she is very excited!
Jackie- Mom! Dad! I have a big master plan, and it involves helping someone very important to me.
Mom- Who is it honey?
Dad- Yeah who is it.
Jackie- NELSON MANDELA!
Mom- Isn’t he in jail?
Jackie- Yes he is.
Dad- Jackie I forbid you to go anywhere near a jail, he got himself in there with his mouth, so let him get himself out. We don’t have no business helping someone of that color out anyway. What good has he done for white people?
Jackie- Dad he isn’t just standing up for black people, he is helping everyone, not just blacks. He isn’t racist and by the way you are talking it seems that you are!
Smack.
Dad- Now you go upstairs in your room. I will not have any thing to do with any of your shenanigans, and I will not have a child disrespecting me.
Mom- John you didn’t have to hit her, she is only trying to help someone. Her heart is in the right place, and it shouldn’t matter if they are black or white. I think what she is trying to do is a good thing. I am a big supporter of fighting for rights for all people black and white, and I am ashamed that you would even give a hell about his color. He seems to be a really good man, and I’m going to support our daughter whether you like it or not.
Dad- Sarah you know I’m not racist, but we could get in to some deep trouble for siding on the black man’s side. We will been seen as traders. My family won’t be seen as traders and that’s final.
Mom- Well I’m helping him whether you like it or not, and I don’t give a damn what people think.

Yeah who is it. Jackie I forbid you to go anywhere near a jail, he got himself in there with his mouth, so let him get himself out. We don’t have no business helping someone of that color out anyway. What good has he done for white people? Now you go upstairs in your room. I will not have any thing to do with any of your shenanigans, and I will not have a child disrespecting me. Helping him out, would be getting involved with government business, and that could lad to serious trouble. Like us being locked down right along with Nelson Mandela, and we don’t need to be in jail. If we go to jail your mother and I both could lose our jobs, and you would be kicked out of your school. We have to pay a lot of money for you to be able to attend private school. Be happy that you are getting a great education at the top private school in all of South Africa. Plus you should be occupied with homework so I don’t know how you would have time for helping out someone else, you got to take care of yourself first.

Who is it honey? Isn’t he in jail? Oh I would say yes right away, but we will have have to see what your father has to say. You know how he can be, and for the most part what he says goes.

John you didn’t have to hit her, she is only trying to help someone. Her heart is in the right place, and it shouldn’t matter if they are black or white. I think what she is trying to do is a good thing. I am a big supporter of fighting for rights for all people black and white, and I am ashamed that you would even give a hell about his color. He seems to be a really good man, and I’m going to support our daughter whether you like it or not. Well I’m helping him whether you like it or not, and I don’t give a damn what people think.

Sarah you know I’m not racist, but we could get in to some deep trouble for siding on the black man’s side. We will been seen as traders. My family won’t be seen as traders and that’s final.